Gear up trainers! Pokémon GO has reached Philippine shores, and it’s time to fulfill your dreams of becoming a Pokémon master! Developed by Niantic Inc., Pokémon GO blends the much beloved world of the classic Pokémon game, with the real physical world through augmented reality. As a player of the game you must start your journey as a Pokémon Trainer to catch Pokémon, train them and eventually become a Pokémon Master. However, unlike other mobile games, Pokémon GO requires you to put more physical effort and even strategy to progress and master the game.
As the game is now officially available in the Philippines after weeks of anticipation, players are more than ready to go out and explore around. But don’t just roam around, be the very best with these tips when starting your Pokémon GO quest.
1. Always bring extra power – Playing Pokémon GO uses internet either through mobile data or WiFi, GPS to locate you and Pokémon nearby, and even your camera as part of the augmented reality experience, resulting to heavy battery drain when playing the game. It is best to always bring an extra power bank with you to keep your game going.
2. Hydrate properly – Pokémon GO requires you to go around and explore your surroundings, sometimes even walk or bike 10 kilometers just to hatch a Pokémon egg. With this, trainers are advised to always bring water and wear comfortable clothes to avoid dehydration. Who knows, you might even need to climb to the top of a nearby hill just to find the Pokémon you're looking for!
3. Have fun while being aware of your surroundings – Holding your phone in public can possibly attract thieves who may steal your phone. You might be also too distracted around you when you are enjoying too much of the game so be alert by keeping on the lookout from time to time!
4. Items are not unlimited – Playing Pokémon Go in the early stage might get you carried away in your excitement to catch Pokémon. Just remember that PokéBalls and other items are not unlimited, so use them wisely.
When catching Pokémon, keep the Pokémon centered in your camera frame so you can catch them more accurately. Don’t worry though, Poké Balls can always be acquired in PokéStops, or if you do ever run out of Poké Balls, you can purchase in bulk using PokéCoins.
Need PokéCoins? With Globe, you can easily buy more on Google Play via Direct Carrier Billing so you can easily charge to your postpaid bill or prepaid credits!
5. Go to convergence areas for more PokéStops – PokéStops are there to provide you items to help you catch Pokémon, and can sometimes be spots where Pokémon can appear when lure modules are applied. PokéStops are most likely located in nearby convergence areas such as malls, parks, basketball courts or even mural paintings and statues. PokéStops refresh in a few minutes, so just keep on collecting items!
Watch out for PokéStops with lots of petals! This means that someone has activated a lure module in that PokéStop, and nearby Pokémon will be attracted to it for 30 minutes. You can activate this too by purchasing Lure Modules using PokéCoins.
Hint: You can check out https://www.ingress.com/intel for potential PokéStop and Pokémon Gym locations, as Pokémon GO uses the same data collected and used by the game Ingress, which is also developed by Niantic.
6. Form a team! – Are you team Instinct, Mystic or Valor? Once you reach level 5 you have to choose which side you will be. It’s best to form a team within your neighborhood or friends, this will give you better advantage to certain situations such as taking over Gyms, which allows you to gain prestige for your team, allowing more Pokémon from your team to defend the Gym. Plus, if one of your Pokémon is defending the gym, you can get PokéCoins for free every 21 hours your Pokémon is in the gym.
7. Choose Pikachu! – You can easily get Pikachu from the start of your game, simply ignore any of the starter Pokémon Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur, that might appear around you. Walk around for 3-5 times. Eventually Pikachu will appear and you will be able to capture the iconic Pokémon.
8. Transfer duplicate Pokémon for candy – Catching Pokémon might get you a lot of the same kind of Pokémon. Got 10 Pidgeys you say? Transfer your weakest 9 Pidgeys to Professor Willow for Pidgey candies!
You can transfer these duplicate Pokémon into candies if you hand them over to Professor Willow. Candies are necessary to increase the combat power (CP) and other stats of your Pokémon. Gain enough candies and you can evolve your Pokémon to its stronger form.
Pro-tip: Always transfer the duplicates with the lowest combat power (CP).
9. Eggs will make you travel – Hatching eggs will require you to travel a lot, make sure you always have an egg in the incubator to get the most of your travel. Eggs right now can hatch from distances of 10km, 5km or 2km depending on how rare the Pokémon is inside.
10. Level up fast - Make the most out of your Pokémon adventure by using Lucky Eggs, which doubles the experience you gain from the game. Couple this with using lures or incense to catch more Pokémon. The more Pokémon you catch, the more experience you gain!
Pokémon GO just started its wave in the Philippines, and more and more trainers will venture to try out the new game and competition will get more intense in the coming days.
These tips will surely get you ahead of others. Playing Pokémon Go will get you hooked and it’s best to get the most of the trend. Globe offers 7 free days of access of Pokémon GO via the Globe Switch app, so you can maximize your data and enjoy playing without worries.
So go get your gear ready and catch ‘em all!