Oh yes! Christmas season is never complete without delicious food served during Noche Buena. As a kid, I remember those times when I just can't wait but taste food being cooked for Noche Buena. I really don't have that much patience waiting for the clock to strike 12 midnight.
With only few hours left before Christmas eve, have you listed down your Noche Buena menu already? If not, then here are some recipes for your guide to have a wonderful Noche Buena feast!
Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage and Peppers
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
400 grams penne pasta,
cooked according to package directions
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
For the sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
400 grams Italian sausage,
casing removed and crumbled
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 (400-gram) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons liquid seasoning
salt, sugar, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pepper flakes to taste (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil and sauté the onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add bell peppers and let cook for another half a minute.
2. Add sausage and let cook until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and mix well.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Season with liquid seasoning, salt, sugar, black pepper, and pepper flakes. Mix well and let cook for another minute.
5. Toss the cooked pasta with sauce, half of the grated mozzarella and half of the Parmesan cheese. Transfer pasta to a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake until cheese has melted and lightly browned in a preheated 375ºF oven, about 20 minutes.
Roast Herbed Chicken
Serves 4 to 6
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 45 to 60 minutes
1 (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-kilos) whole chicken
1 teaspoon rock salt
8 rounds freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
2 pieces bay leaf
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 whole onion, peeled
12 to 15 new potatoes, unpeeled
10 to 12 shallots, peeled
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Wash chicken under cold running water and pat dry.
3. Mix salt, pepper, rosemary, sage, thyme, and lemon zest. Rub skin and cavity of the chicken with the mixed herbs. Place bay leaves in the cavity. Massage soy sauce into the skin and cavity of the chicken. Place onion inside the cavity and tie the legs together with kitchen twine to hold shape.
4. Place chicken in a baking pan and surround with potatoes and shallots. Sprinkle with more of the herb mixture. Brush chicken and vegetables with butter and cover with foil.
5. Bake chicken until juices run clear when pierced, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting chicken occasionally and mixing potatoes from time to time.
6. Remove foil and bake again for another 10 minutes to brown the chicken. Once done, remove chicken from the pan and deglaze pan juices to serve as sauce for the chicken.
Prawns with Queso De Bola and Ham
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
1 kilo jumbo shrimp or prawns
4 tablespoons butter, divided into 2
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped honey ham (substitute option: bacon)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
splash dry white wine or dry sherry
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup grated edam (queso de bola)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Butterfly the prawns: Using kitchen shears, cut open the shrimp peel at the back, from head to tail. Remove the meat and set aside the shells.
2. Chop prawn meat into chunks.
3. Preheat broiler to high.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan and saute onions until soft.
5. In the skillet, heat the remaining butter then add chopped prawn meat and honey ham. Add the cooked sauce and blend well.
6. Arrange the prawns in a casserole dish. Spoon the cooked prawn mixture into the shells. Top with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
7. Broil on high until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
Images and recipes from yummy.ph