6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 8:59 AM by dutch184

Verification Codes to Email versus Phone?

dutch184

I have a post-paid Pocket Wi-Fi unit that is located in another city.  Somehow that account phone number is missing from my online list of phone numbers. In order to add (re-enter) that number (to my online account) Globe sends a verification code to the phone number of the Pocket Wi-Fi Unit.

Since the pocket Wi-Fi Unit is an Internet only tool, the SIM card must be swapped out to a working phone in order to receive this verification code. In addition, the Wi-Fi Unit is located in another city, this presents a problem for me being able to receive that code.  As a result, I ask the question: "How, or why, can't I receive the code to my listed email address or to my account listed phone number?"     

For Internet only accounts, shouldn't there be an option to receive communications via email or and alternate phone number?

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Dutch184

[email protected]

• Re: Verification Codes to Email versus Phone?
          kurog

I also had this issue when I wanted to add my mum's phone number to my accounts list. What I did was, I called my mum and asked  her to forward the verification code to me via SMS. You can do the same. Albeit, a little more effort is needed due to the nature of your account being an internet only plan.

dutch184

Thank you Kurog for your suggestion.  However, my situation is not that easy (as you mentioned).  Whomever I called to get the code would:

- Have to be located where the Internet SIM card was located,

- That person would then have to swap the Internet SIM with the SIM in their own phone,

- And we both would have to perform that action within the time-frame that the verification code was sent by Globe. This step sets up a logistical nightmare because once the called person swaps out their SIM card I've lost communication with them.  How long do I wait before competing the   

"Add a phone number form"?  How long does it take for the verification code to be sent? Is there a time limit restriction that the verification is valid?   

All of this can be resolved by having an option to sent the Verification code to either an alternate number, or to an email address.  Both of these options can be registered on my account page.

Thanksdutch184

kurog

If you're using the SIM card with a pocket wifi, the person helping you can log in to the pocket wifi's web portal by typing 192.168.0.1 on a web browser's address bar. Log in using the admin credentials. That way, he/she will be able to read the text message containing the verification code without inserting the SIM card to a phone.

Sad to say but I don't think Globe will be changing their process anytime soon.

EDIT:

Regarding your question about the time frame allowed to enter the verification code, there was this one time that I was still able to enter the code even after being logged out automatically then logging in again to my account which took about 20 minutes.

dutch184

Thanks Kurog:

The procedure you suggested seems easy enough with less physical (SIM card swaps) actions.  I have given this task to a friend who will try it once they are at the Pocket Wi-Fi location.  If all else fails, I have given him access to my "online" Globe Account to add the Wi-Fi phone number through that interface.  Of course he may decide to swap out the SIM cards anyway, but at least he has the two options to choose from.  I'm just appreciative that he's willing to help me out.

Again, this does nothing to solve the problem that allowing an alternate email or phone number will solve.  I just hope the Wi-Fi number does not (once again) show-up missing from my account.  I'll be in the same situation I am today.

Thanksdutch184

kurog

I've just realized today that might have given you the incorrect IP address to access the web portal. I realized my mistake as I was adding my own newly activated tattoo plan to my "My Account". My pocket WiFi's IP address is 192.168.8.1. Not sure if it's the same for every device.

You are right. It will be better and so much easier if subscribers are given the option to add an alternative phone number or email address for internet-only plans.