5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 5:30 PM by chriswayg

What is Globe’s response to the recent Wifi vulnerability announcement?

prandelicious

What is Globe’s plan to mitigate the threat of the latest Wifi vulnerability? KRACK Attacks: Breaking WPA2

• Re: What is Globe’s response to the recent Wifi vulnerability announcement?
          chriswayg

Globe is responsible for the Wifi Routers they provide. What router model do you have?

I have FiberHome AN5506 Router and I expect, that Globe will never issue a fix or a firmware upgrade. Its a chinese made router with very limited documentation. It has other serious security weaknesses apart from the KRACK vulnerability. Globe employees have proven repeatedly, that they don't know how that router actually works. I had to figure out a technique to set this router to bridge mode, after many Globe technicians told me, that it is not possible and not supported by Globe.

If you can, you should set your Globe router to 'Bridge Mode', disable Wifi on the Globe router, and use a 3rd party Wifi router where the KRACK issue has been fixed.

Advice from TechCrunch: Look to your router

Your router’s firmware absolutely needs updating. If the router has been supplied by your ISP, ask the company when their branded kit will be patched. If they don’t have an answer, keep asking. You can make sure your router is up-to-date by browsing the administration panel. Find the user guide for your ISP-branded router and follow the instructions to connect to the admin pages.

If your ISP is not quickly putting out a firmware update to fix KRACK, it may be time to consider switching your ISP. A less drastic option would be to buy a WiFi access point from a responsible company that has already issued a patch. Plugging a WiFi access point into your ISP router and disabling WiFi on your ISP junk is a good alternative.

Here’s a list of some of the router makers that have already put out fixes (Ubiquiti, Microtik, Meraki, Aruba, FortiNet…).

Here’s what you can do to protect yourself from the KRACK WiFi vulnerability | TechCrunch

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: What is Globe’s response to the recent Wifi vulnerability announcement?
            ChitoReyes

More than Globe I think it would be the owners of those routers and the people connecting to those routers should be the one to address this.