5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 9:22 PM by leanaa

DSL Facility Issue - Intermittent Connection, Frequent Modem Desynchronization

fmq

I am continuously experiencing frequent modem disconnection or losing its sync from the facility, and there were instances that it would take a 30 minutes to an hour and multiple for the modem to authenticate and get a sync from the facility. I have called the customer service (02 730-1000) multiple times, had a few technical visits at my house, had replaced the modem 3 times, but still the problem still persist.

One technician said that it could be a facility capacity issue in my area since the DSLAM here (yes the main cabinet found on the street, where the distribution frame/point mounted on the pole is connected to) is serving 2 densely populated subdivisions and 1 highly populated commercial area. I have asked the technician, what steps are being taken by Globe Telecom to fix this capacity problem being faced by some of their facility deployed in many areas? then he patiently and politely answered my question by they (Globe Telecom) are doing constant upgrades such as uplink port upgrade and adding VDSL2 cards/modules (with ADSL2 fallback, perhaps?) to the facility. I have asked the technician if the facility we are connected to has a VDSL2 modules installed, and he replied yes but these weren't activated yet. Why?

At the time before the modem loses it sync it doesn't show any precursory symptoms, no decrease of SNR Margin (~22dB), line attenuation and profiles are normal. They were not able to address and solve the issue.

P.S. A field engineer took a visit and check the internet and had the downstream profile downgraded to ~12200 Kbps (~10 Mbps, 150 GB, 1599) from GoFast 1599 15 Mbps 150GB (without refreshing the contract), due to facility issue.

• Re: DSL Facility Issue - Intermittent Connection, Frequent Modem Desynchronization
          leanaa

Hello, were you able to resolve this?

We have the same problem and have already a lot of on-site visits to no avail. The problem according to the technician is the facility too. Our plan is 15Mbps. It is still not fixed.

The best that was done was downgrade the speed to 7 Mbps. But then the landline stopped working (always shows busy dial tone). At least the theory proved that 15Mbps above should NOT be supported in our area. However, Globe still chooses to sell it here even if the facitility itself is incapable of reporting it.

When we asked if we can change our plan to a different one which is priced the same (P1,599), Globe said that the lock-in period will reset. That is very unfair because in the first place, the problem is on their side. If they only sold up to 10Mbps plans here, the issue would not happen.

Is there a way to escalate this somewhere?

• Re: DSL Facility Issue - Intermittent Connection, Frequent Modem Desynchronization
              fmq

Not so long ago the technical engineer from Globe in company with the technical service contractor (Ng Khai) came to my area to check the facility and they have resolved the problem already by reducing the speed to 10 Mbps on the system side to prevent contract renewal, so on the billing its still Plan 1599 (15 Mbps, 150 GB). On the other hand I still experience frequent desynchronization (intermittent connection) on the modem for about 30 minutes to an hour, it occurs during peak-hours 11 to 2 pm, though not so often.

The Globe customer service and the sales team doesn't have any idea on what is the real status of the facility. Globe has its GEMA (Globe Enterprise Maps Application) to locate the facility and check the status, this tool is useful however the question is, Are the information updated? Can the application know how densely populated the DSLAM equipment is? What are the status of the modules installed into the DSLAM? E/G-PON Uplinks on the DSLAM, Is the capacity enough. RADIUS SERVER (important to authenticate the subscriber via PPPOE) connection, and etc. The status color coding of the GEMA is somewhat inaccurate,

Globe should stop vDSL and G.Fast deployments as these are copper-based line, its still susceptible to interference and distance issue. They should deploy more x-PON facilities. To be fair with Globe is I haven't experienced slow speeds below the subscribed speed, its just utterly intermittent.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  leanaa

Thank you fmq for the very detailed answer.

Can I ask few more questions? The technical engineer also did it for us but we experienced problem with the landline. Did you experience problem with the landline always having busy dial tone when the technical engineer changed it to 10 mbps? The engineer has since revered us back to 15 mbps and Landline is working again, but the internet is having problems again.

You are right the customer service doesn't really have any idea, they always just send a repair job. Actually, the technical engineer already stated the problem in our area even last March. Up to now (6 months), it is still the root cause of problem (the Facility) as there are also some customers experiencing the same problem.

Yes, to be fair Globe speeds are very good and is what is advertised. But all the speed is useless if there is no internet itself The customer service and technical engineer also responds well and know the root cause of the problem, but they can't do anything because it would take higher action from Globe management itself. I am guessing they are maybe not doing anything / not addressing the problem even if the technical engineers reports it to them.

I am hoping if I can bring this to issue to a higher Globe management, so the root cause will be fixed already. Would you have any idea if there are other support channels aside from the usual Customer Service hotline?

fmq

I have received a few complains from my friends that they are trying to call my landline but it is not ringing on my end however it is ringing on theirs. My friends were using a PLDT Landline and they have also said that they have issues contacting not only mine but also other landline from different providers as well such as Bayantel. I also have received calls from Manila (ETPI) and the signal quality was so awful.

But that issue was already resolved 3 to 4 years ago, it was clarified to me by the technical team that they were having an interconnectiion issue with the PSTN of different providers, it could be a channel/circuit capacity issue.

Regarding your problem it seems that it is another facility issue. The data and voice (POTS) line are both running on different frequency bands, unlike with Dial-Up. it seems that its not only the DSLAM facility on your area but also it could be a Distrubution Point issue. It needs to be checked by a higher level technician or engineer.

1 of 1 people found this helpful