6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 8:02 AM by chickentuna

Making a call while on 3G/HSDPA+

chickentuna

So I have an unlimited surfing with Globe and mainly use my phone(Galaxy S4) for local voice calls and internet(I also tether the connection to my mac), problem is when I make calls I can barely use the internet and the H+ signal drops to H only. It's either slow or there's no internet at all.

Any reasons why this is happening? Feel free to post some workarounds if there are any. 

• Re: Making a call while on 3G/HSDPA+
          hcescala

Some phones disable the data connection when your making a voice call. 

chickentuna

Well in my phone it doesn't.  I can clearly see that there is data traffic while I'm trying to access a website(again while on a call) based on the H/H+ icon on my status bar. Thing is it's really slow.

TERQZ
                  Some of the phones prioritizes the 2G connection when calling..

For 2G network you cant connect to the internet while on call.

But for 3G you can. While calling you can have an internet connection but that's the case. You have 2 network connection that may lead to slow browsing or intermittent internet connection..

You can switch you network mode to 3G and LTE.

Settings> More network > Mobile network > Network mode. select 3G and LTE..

Cheers,
                  TERQZ
                c0lboy

Not sure how to start this but...

S4 can easily juggle calls and data using only 3G networks, there is still a limitation over a 4G LTE network that only supports data stream.

“It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design.” excerpt from an Apple executive when asked why Iphone 5 doesnt have multiple antennas like S4s

"Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech." excerpt from editor in chief of Anandtech Anand Shimpi.

Therefore...

Your Galaxy S4 should and must support voice and data at the same time, For whatever reason, turning off 4G LTE on Samsung Galaxy S4 has been made extra difficult. The menu under Settings>Wireless and network>More does not include the old toggle that we use on devices like the Galaxy Nexus. You are also unable to type in *#*#4636#*#* to get into the phone info menu and change it manually through there.

Thankfully, this app called Phone Info works like a charm. Install it, open it, and head into “Device information.” From there, you’ll need to scroll down to the pull down menu which probably says “LTE/CDMA/EvDo” and choose “CDMA auto (PRL)” to turn your phone into a 3G, which supports voice and data plus you can turn your S4 into a battery saving machine.

Goodluck!

Sources available upon request.

jozefrockz

I have an iPhone 5 with unlimited surfing and also can't surf the net whenever I am engaged in a call. This applies to H+ and LTE connections.

Tried calling Globe and they confirmed that they do support such as action at this time. I was surprised because back then when I am with Sun Cellular with Unlisurfing I am able to surf the web while engaged in a call at take note mabilis pa talaga.

Not sure why Globe isn't allowing this? Probably network congestion??? 

chickentuna
                    Yeah it really doesn't work. I can't browse while on LTE/H+ network. I came to a conclusion that Globe doesn't support this