6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 6:39 PM by babyprince

Handset "ownership"

ishtangli

Do you feel like you "own"  your "free" handset? I'm referring to the one you got with your plan. I ask because I noticed that service providers REFUSE to release our units  from the network lock after the contract period. This is understandable if the unit was still under contract since they do subsidize a bit of the cost (and by bit, i mean a very small portion only). However, after the contract period, doesnt that make it YOUR unit? It seems that, rather than owning the unit, you are actually just RENTING it. Share your thoughts...

• Re: Handset "ownership"
          ChitoReyes

How many of us here wish that globe or any other telco would provide the network unlock code freely after our contracts with them.

I guess it is one of their strategies to keep us within their network even outside the contract period.

WILLfindways

Hello, ishtangli.

Welcome to the Globe Community. I am glad you have come to share your Globe life with us.

Before you proceed in reading my reply, please take of the following:

I don't represent Globe Telecom or any of its Third Party Vendors in any of my message.

It is my personal belief that we are all created. Therefore, we are all creatures here.

If you believe otherwise, you may let me know.

Moving on with your concern.

I would like to answer your questions in the best possible way that I can.

My answer to your question is a big YES.

Since I availed the handset from Globe Telecom under a services subscription agreement, I am the owner of the said handset, not Globe or any other creature for that matter.

Because I am the owner of the handset, the handset is under my disposal.

Globe is under no obligation whatsoever to provide us the lock code or unlock the device even after the lock up period.

You may check you own contract or ask your Account Manager about it.

By the way, it may be needless to say that Globe cannot prevent you from unlocking your device, within or outside the lock up period. Terms and Conditions Apply.

We accept the things we think we deserve - The perks of being WILL

ishtangli
              If I remember correctly, there is a new law which makes it illegal to tamper with or modify your device. therefore, these providers are passing on the legal liability to us consumers.
                  WILLfindways

Hello, ishtangli.

Welcome to the Globe Community. I am glad you have come to share your Globe life with us.

Before you proceed in reading my reply, please take of the following:

I don't represent Globe Telecom or any of its Third Party Vendors in any of my message.

It is my personal belief that we are all created. Therefore, we are all creatures here.

If you believe otherwise, you may let me know.

Moving on with your concern.

While I have not heard of this law before, please allow my friends and I to research about the existence of this law.

My opinion on the ownership of the handset still remains.  All the handsets I availed together with a Postpaid Plan with Globe are mine and mine alone. And nobody can take them away from me even the holdapers.

All these are mine. Nokia 2600, E71, BlackBerry Bold 9700, Bold, 9900, Curve 9220, Curve 9320, Z10.

I can do whatever I want with these phones.

If anyone from Globe will keep me from doing so, I will have to talk to the creature's Supervisor or Manager.

Even Claudine or Raymart can't stop me.

We accept the things we think we deserve - The perks of being WILL

ishtangli
                  let me give a good example of how this policy is restrictive. My boss whi is irish bought a 3Gs under contract. it has obviously expired and my boss has also been reassigned to another country. guess what, he cannot use the phone which he "owns".
                    babyprince

If I remember correctly, there is a new law which makes it illegal to tamper with or modify your device. therefore, these providers are passing on the legal liability to us consumers.

.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yup you are right..

unlocking was illegal once but Got a good response from the white house about legalizing cell phone unlocking. here is the source:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/04/white-house-phone-unlock/

The recent ruling that effectively bans third-party unlocking has ruffled more than a few feathers, and the people have spoken with their electronic signatures---14,322 of them , to be exact. Now the petition to the White House, which asks that DMCA protection of phone unlockers be reconsidered, has finally received an official response, and it appears that it's for the positive.

You can still get your phone unlocked from any third party vendors like WickedUnlock.com ..there is no issues ..