13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 10:54 PM by victoledano

4.2mbps speed on a 5mbps plan and data cap

enak143235
      We upgraded to a 5mbps plan last january 13. Our previous plan was at 1mbps, the downstream speed of our 1mbps plan was 3000+ so our connection was reaching speeds up to 1.1mbps but the downstream speed of our newly installed plan was only at 5000 so we only get 4.2 to 4.4mbps speeds. It somehow pisses me off because i feel like we are not getting the right speeds we are paying for. Does anyone here have this issue and was resolved? If there is, please tell me how.

About the data cap, well i am really dissapointed with the data cap at 10gb. I felt like i was cheated, they shouldnt have put unlimited in their promo if there was a data cap. With speeds up to 4.2 mbps, 10gb is nothing, innove should really increase this data cap or at least do something about it.
        • Re: 4.2mbps speed on a 5mbps plan and data cap
          ianonline

download speed results are your speed between your end to that of the server where you are conducting your test...  try downloading some torrents and notice the speed, you will actually reach your subscribed limit.

as for the fair usage policy, no other solution but to upgrade to a business plan.

hcescala
            Speed tests are not consistent at depende rin sa server or provider na kukunin nya. Yup try to download a large file dun mo malalaman yung speed mo talaga. pero what is 4.2 or 4.4mbps which is almost 5mbps na rin. Madami talagang factors to consider like peak hours and location.

Kahit sa postpaid unlisurf may cap, it is mentioned sa user policy po. Its a way of protecting every consumers alam mo naman madami dyang abusado. 10gb is more than enough sa isang araw, unless puro movies na 8gb ang dinadownload ni user.
              enak143235
              Yeah i know that speed tests are not consistent, and i know what speeds i should be getting if i try to download torrents, speeds should be up to 625kbps, if i am really getting a 5mbps connection. I know this because i've studied networking. But i never reach 600kbps, let alone 625, the maximum downloading speed ive reached is only at 550. as i've said, i used to have 1mbps connection and im pretty happy with the service, speedtests always reach the 1mbps mark and download speeds reach 125kbps. Why is it that with the 5mbps plan, i never reach the 5mbps mark?
                enak143235
                Can this issue be fixed? Or kailangan ko nalang tanggapin na hanggang 4.4mbps lang ang kayang abutin ng speeds ng internet ko? I've been monitoring the speeds for over a week now walang improvement. Wala bang ibang ganitong concern? Or okay na yung ibang tao sa up to xmbps plan na hindi naman talaga umaabot sa xmbps na binabayaran nila.
                    ianonline
                    You can also post the parameters ng ADSL mo para ma kita natin yung quality ng line..

I'm in 3mbps plan (business) and max speed i got from torrent is 312kbps which is sa accurate na calculation is only 2.496mbps.

thus, i assume ibang value ang ginagamit ng taga globe...
                    parang round off to the nearest zero.. so instead of 1MB = 125KBps ginagawang 1mb is to 100KBps+ something.

Sa ibang DSL forum nabasa ko din na for 5mbps you get 4.5mbps for download and .5 for upload.

so for 3mb = 2.5mb down and .5 for up (true in my case)

and for 1mb plan it's .5 for down and .5 for up...

it makes sense, kasi ganito kadalasan nakukuhang value ng mga subscribers.
                        dudztgp

No offense sir but you need to read more. The reason why you're not getting full bandwidth is because of the port profile.

I assume you're aware that PPPoE has overhead. That being said, it eats up your bandwidth in accordance to your port profile.

Let's use your plan as an example. Check your modem and post your downstream. It should look like 3072 kbps. Compute the PPPoE overhead (search google.com). After doing the math, you'll the realize that you're not getting what you are paying for.

What can you do? Ask Globe to increase the port profile or speed. You'll notice the difference!

victoledano

EH di taasan ang port profile para maoffset yung overhead loses...Parang kami sa electrical engineering...para maensure ko na ang rated voltage ay properly maideliver sa end-user...dapat idesign ko ang system na magiging maliit lang ang losses...at kung kulang talaga ang rated voltage sa end-user side...dyan na namin iaadjust ang sending-end (source) voltage...

Di ba uubra yan sa globe...tataasan lang naman ang port profile di ba...sa bahay namin sa sta. rosa, pag sinabi mong 1 mbps...1 mbps talaga ang makukuha at may sobra pa..di ba kaya yan ng globe? actually nagspeedtest ako na ang reference ko ay globe makati...nakakuha ako ng 0.8 to 0.85mbps, pero dun sa ibang reference umabot ako ng 1mbps...sa pldt mismo...nakakuha ako ng 1.1 to 1.15mbps pero typically 1mbps...pero dito sa globe dsl ko...pag nagspeedtest (5mbps dsl kuno) ako na ang reference ko ay pldt..ay nako...wala pang 4mbps...minsan nga 2.5mbps lang...

Sabi ko nga eh...kung ang sending end (globe source) ko eh isinet ng globe sa 5mbps...eh mathematically impossible na makakuha ka ng 5mbps sa side ko...

ganito na lang...sabihin mo dyan sa mga katropa mong mga taga globe sales...na tanggalin na lang nila sa marketing yung up to 5 mbps...false marketing ang pinalalabas nila...eh bakit di na lang nila ilagay 4.2mbps...ang nangyayari...20 times akong nagspeedtest...ni isang 5mpbs wala akong nakuha hanggang 4.4mbps lang ang pinakamataas ko...

victoledano

Inattempt ko ng irequest yan sa globe na itaas itong port profile ko...and until now...no changes...or maybe...the globe itself...told their switchboard operators na walang adjustment na gagawin...ika nga...individual user lang yan...di naman yan malaking customer...so ignore nyo lang yung mga request niyan...

Kaya nga tinanggap ko na ang katotohanan na 4.2 ~ 4.4mbps lang ang speed ko...as per globe...5mbps kuno...again false marketing pa rin...bakit hindi na lang nila ilagay sa mga advertisement nila na up to 4.4mbps instead of 5mbps...mas OK pa yan kesa sa ipinagmamalaki nilang 5mbps na hindi naman mangyayari..ganda pa naman ng advertisement nila...eh di naman totoo...

Maniniwala sana ako na up to 5mbps...kung sa 20 trials ko na speedtest..eh..maski limang beses makakuha ako ng 5mbps..eh di dun ko lang paniniwalaan na up to 5mbps nga...

victoledano

Tanggapin mo na yang ganyang katotohanan. Let's just say...false marketing ng globe...yung 5mbps mo eh...4.2 to 4.4mbps lang ang masusukat mo sa speedtest.net.

Parehas lang tayo...5mbps din ako...and ang nasusukat ko ay 4.2 to 4.4mbps...

May...nalalaman pang mga kesyo ganito raw ang location mo o ano pa mang parameters yung isang nagpost na nagiging cause ng pagbaba ng internet speed...eh ang solusyon lang dyan ay itaas ang speed sa sending end (globe) para macompensate ang losses pagdating sa end-user.

MichaelSB

Discovered yesterday I'm capped as well.. Torrent files will only download in AMAZING 0.1Kb/s now... Too bad I'm locked up on two 24 month plans, with a year left on both (more or less)..

I never got any texts from Globle saying that I exceeded the limit either..

Jeian

If you are in DSL or Wimax including LTE, You will never recieve text messages and thus if you are capped, your download will just crap down to 30% lower than your current plan

MichaelSB

I'm using the 4G Superstick on a 128XL Post paid plan. We don't have 4G in Puerto Galera (even if Globe's coverage map says so since 2 years...)

What I just discover is it seems only to affect torrent downloads. Just after I wrote above post, I downloaded a soffware using Firefox (regulare file download), the file was 11.5MB and the speed came up to 260Kb/s which is great.

Perhaps they've got a function for filtering torrent data?