28 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 9:00 AM by angelmicx

Network Congestion Explained

ishtangli

Found this great vid which explains network congestion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymoexsE-EaI

To sum it up

1. The TCP/IP protocol automatically balances network traffic.

To say otherwise is an insult to the original TCP/IP engineers.

2. Network congestion has to do more with the NUMBER of people connected to a base station, rather than the AMOUNT of data that is being consumed.

Since the TCP/IP protocol already balances network traffic, the problem really is that TOO MANY people are using the same network pipe at the same time.

3. The solution to this problem is costly

Since the AMOUNT of data is not the problem, the only way to accommodate the NUMBER of people connected is to a) increase bandwidth, or b)  setup another base station to offload the 1st. base station.

Let me put it in simpler terms

Say you decided to drive to Batangas via SLEX. At first, your trip seemed to be going very smoothly. That was until you reached Sta. Rosa where things began to slow down.

You estimate there could be around 10,000 cars (subscribers) trying squeeze through 4 Toll Booths (bandwidth) at the end of SLEX. In your mind, you curse the other cars (subscribers) for the mass exodus, as well as the government (TCP/IP) for not doing anything to fix the situation (congestion).

This went on and on for hours until you finally get through.

Upon reaching Batangas, you reflected on the torture you just went through and came to the conclusion that the problem wasn't the government (TCP/IP) - to change the government (TCP/IP) would take too long and would need a lot of research, or the number of cars (subscribers) - you couldn't blame other people for wanting to go on vacation on a long weekend (even though deep down inside, you really did), the problem was that there were not enough Toll Booths (bandwidth).

The solution

a) Build more toll booths, or

b) Build another exit

Why data capping is not the solution?

You cannot limit a person's use of his car (lets face it, the Number Coding scheme was a reactionary measure which does not address the root cause of the problem).

One more thing...

In the US, once you reach your data cap, they will begin charging you for the extra minutes. Doesn't that strike you as odd? If you can still use the network, then aren't you STILL contributing to the congestion?

• Re: Network Congestion Explained
          soliel

Someone in USA managed to sue their telco for that practice of throttling speed. The telcos there have switched to data plans, no longer unlimited or don't advertise unlimited except for Sprint.

Verizon had a gltiched that offered unli again and they are manning up to the error by continuing service to those that signed up.

Furthermore, 3mpbs ang lowest speed upon reaching FUP. Not 2G

jhey024

ishtangli, yup.. too many subscriber sa isang base station.. like what i said sa isang thread ni Sir Chito, Globe should improve their network infrastructure.. they need to add more rooms for the new subscribers..

ishtangli

Yup.

Case in point: 1yr na akong nagrerelkamo about bad internet at our place in Mandaluyong. Have had several visits and several phone calls from Globe tech teams. After a year, they finally admitted that the problem was congestion.

Now, if abusive users was the problem, why hasn't it improved? I should already feel a noticeable difference especially now that they've implement FUP and throttling of torrent downloads.

Jeian

Yeah, But i think after this was implemented. The Network traffic will be lessened a lot from the high-usage persons thus others can get higher speeds.

jhey024

ishtangli, tama..congestion is not merely due sa high data usage.. basta, may gumagamit ng service ng globe..kahit purong call and text lang ang ginagawa, as long as super dami na nila sa iisang place and their are far more than enough na kayang iaccommodate ng isang base station, magkakaroon pa rin ng congestion..

proto99

Share lang ako ng article, hindi naman ito satire, ..I hope Mods will not delete this. Thanks

Cable Industry Finally Admits That Data Caps Have Nothing To Do With Congestion | Techdirt

angelmicx

Note: I'm not flaming but just speaking what I think of this.

I do believe what you posted is true and it makes a lot of sense, but either way they can just blame the FUP for a different problem or worst, they would make FUP more painful by disconnecting the ABUSERS entirely (or maybe giving them a fake connection which is not really connected).

But to tell you, I like Globe but recently all I can everr think of wherever I hear Globe is just negative feelings.

rjongcuangco

pa off topic lang ha @Glenn O ano nangyari sa account ko di ko mailogin after ng site upgrade username Demerok

nag reset password na din ako pero wala dumadating na link sa email ko

Hi all! Spectrum/bandwidth has always been a limited resource. The FUP allows for limits so that everyone gets their fair share of quality of service.

If we use the argument that FUP is not needed, why is it being implemented globally in the most advanced economies where usage sophistication is even higher. It is because across the globe we operate in similar environments where spectrum/bandwidth is a limited resource controlled by governments.

azunyan

"Spectrum/bandwidth has always been a limited resource."

Are you referring to Spectrum Crunch?

"If we use the argument that FUP is not needed, why is it being implemented globally in the most advanced economies where usage sophistication is even higher. It is because across the globe we operate in similar environments where spectrum/bandwidth is a limited resource controlled by governments."

Refer to this video: Why Data Caps Suck: The Animated Examination - YouTube

It explains why FUP or data caps are not needed and why those data caps were being implemented by telcos in other countries.

soliel

Please do not treat us as imbeciles. Spectrum  is what telcos need to have subscribers. They need more spectrum to increase subscribers. You are basically admitting that globe has oversubscribed their capacities.

angelmicx

Sorry @azunyan but I don't have the luxury of watching a Youtube Video (datacap thingy) can you please put the explaination into words so that I can join the conversation. Thank you very much.

azunyan

Some excerpt from the video:

"A small file and big file will take up the same amount of bandwidth at the same time on the same network. The big file will just take more time to transfer. Most network congestion is not caused by the amount of data used. But the number of concurrent transfers. Data is not a limited resource. Rate is a limited resource. Insofar as you can only send so much data down a single connection at any one time, but any amount of data can be sent over time. So logically if ISPs were concerned with congestion they would be selling less service to fewer people."

"Spectrum Crunch has nothing to do with network capacity or data caps. Spectrum crunch is when mobile companies run out of room in electro-magnetic spectrum allocated to them by FCC in order have cellphone towers as far apart as they are with so many users connected at once. Again this really has nothing to do in how much data you use only with how many people are using the network connection at the same time and ultimately, spectrum crunch will be solved either by adding more cellphone towers or by reallocating more of the electro-magnetic spectrum."

"So if the congestion isn't the reason for data caps what it is? Well, the answer unsurprisingly is money. When a broadband provider institutes data caps they make first the obvious money from overage charges and they also tied higher caps to the most expensive data plans so even though you may not need the speed of a turbo service you maybe pressured to upgrade because you don't want run out of data on your data cap. "

ast

We understand it is implemented globally, no worries about that.  Problem here is it is advertised as unlimited which in fact it isn't, isn't it?  Globe's 2G is close to like being having your account terminated, have you tried using  2G for mobile data?  Data cap is ok, crippling us with 'no data' on 2G is overkill for Globe's so called F'UP.  Data cap all you want, but leave us with a data connection that is usable, as we are entitled to UNLIMITED data, right???  We work hard hard to that so called "UNLIMITED DATA", we don't want to be short change because of the so-called F'UP!

1/GB per day, ok, no problem,

3/GB per month ok, no problem.

BUT PLEASE, don't advertise your data service as UNLIMITED!! 

ishtangli

Yup. Basically, if I download a 1GB file and you download a 500MB file, at the same time, on the same 5Mbps pipe, we will both be downloading at 2.5Mbps. The only difference is that you will finish ahead of me, at which point, I will have the whole 5Mbps to myself.

azunyan

Yeah. The network system was already fair to all of the subscribers. No need for a new policy.

And with that, I can imagine how less will be the impact in throttling of what they're saying "3% Heavy users".

I think, those with illegal connections far exceed those 3%. They should address to them first for the network congestion not the legit subscribers.

angelmicx

@ishtangli Can you tutor me a bit more. I have this question on my mind based on your example.

What if you download the 1gb, I download the 500mb.

If you download earlier than me does it mean you get the 5Mbps by yourself, then after 2 minutes I start downloading my 500mb, will the network AUTOMATICALLY allocate my 2.5Mbps and slow yours to 2.5Mbps?

Also on what @Jeian posted, will an increased spectrum improve our internet speed?