9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:31 PM by GlennO

Very disappointed

tyrone910

I registered to Globe's SUPERSURF50 promo but I was very disappointed of the outcome. Immediately after connecting, the download speed would rise up to 1.5 to 2.0 Mbps but after 15 minutes of surfing, the download speed went down to 0.00 kbps and is not going up anymore. Heck I only consumed 28.24 Mb of data. I'm aware of Globe's Fair Use Policy so I keep track of the data I consume. Could you please explain this to me?

• Re: Very disappointed
          ishtangli

Does this happen even after reconnecting?

lehcar_cheche02

Hi tyrone910. You may try the following basic trouble shooting.

1. Turn off/on your phone to refresh the signal. (soft reset)

2. Remove the sim card and battery and placed it again after 1-2 minutes. (hard reset)

3. Try to use your sim card to other phone/s and check the data connection.

Since you said that you keep track of your consumed data and is still not capped, the problem might be the signal in your area.

Thank you!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                spillett

Turning on and off a phone does not refresh the signal. A mobile phone constantly seeks the best signal, if it loses signal it will find it again of its own accord. This is called "hunting". This is fundamental to how mobile phones work, because by definitition you are "mobile" when using it, so as you move away from one network mast or antenna, the phone finds the nearest one again with the strongest signal.

Taking out the battery and SIM card will achieve nothing. Removing the battery is only a valid troubleshooting step where a phone freezes, crashes or otherwise stops responding, and 1-2 minutes is silly, a few seconds is sufficient. Removing the SIM card does not refresh anything, at best if the access point information is corrupted then reinserting the SIM might cause the phone to re-read fresh access point information from the SIM card, but that is not what is happening here otherwise the phone would give an error message when it failed to connect to the internet. If restarting the phone was going to help in this case, then lehcar_cheche02's first suggestion would be adequate.

Also, for information, that process is not a hard reset, a hard reset is a process that wipes the phone completely and leaves it in the original "out-of-the-box" state.

The problem is most likely down to the signal:

• Are you getting a 2G or 3G signal? Most phones will tell you via an icon ner the top of the screen. If the phone cannot maintain a good 3G signal, you will be shunted back down to 2G or 2.5G (EDGE) speeds which are exponentially slower.
                • At 2.5G speeds, many modern web sites may struggle, and one thing that could affect performance as you describe, especially if there is a high load on the local base station (usually called the mast or antenna) to which your phone is connected, is the number of phones drawing from the signal at the same time - especially if you are in a big city. It's the same effect as when messages slow down on new year's eve because thousands of people bombard the network at the same time to greet their friends and relatives.

Another thing that might affect this is if the phone is frequently changing signals. The default setting of most phones will be to use the fastest signal available, so wherever possible it will go for 3G, but if the signal is not strong enough and connection is lost the phone will drop back to 2G but keep trying to re-establish a 3G connection. If there is a problem with the strength of the 3G signal, the phone may connect repeatedly then lose conenction and drop back to 2G. You can test this by restricting your phone to just one type of signal (2G or 3G). If you restrict the phone to 2G only, it might be slower but it also won't keep dropping that signal to try to connect to a weak 3G signal so performance might be more stable.

tyrone910

Signal is not the problem. I have a signal strength close to 100% in my location. I've been using Globe/TM for my phone for years already because the signal quality in my area is excellent regardless of weather conditions. As for mobile internet I was using Sun Cellular because of its P100/3-days of unlimited internet. But recently their service and signal was getting very sloppy and I realized their promo wasn't worth it, so I decided to switch to Globe because my cousin gave me a Globe Tattoo USB stick last year. I bought a new SIM card and inserted it into the USB device and then into my laptop. And then this was the result.

tyrone910

I don't have a twitter account.

tyrone910

After using Globe's mobile internet for roughly 8 hours, I found out that their mobile internet service is by far worse than their competitors'. I got more or less 30+ disconnections in 8 hours and everytime I reconnect I would get 0.00 kbps DL speed instantly and I would reconnect several times or wait several minutes to reconnect just to get a decent DL speed. I've been hearing positive reviews from my friends about Globe's Broadband DSL speed and service which makes me very disappointed of what's happening to my subscription. 12kb of dowloaded data in 10 minutes? Websites don't even load and would result to "No data received".

tyrone910 Really sorry for that experience. To help turn things around, we again recommend you to check with our support team for any network outages within your area. The Community cannot answer complaints that are account-specific. I will be closing this thread now. Thanks!