7 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 9:56 PM by kurdafyo

Am I off the 3%?

JofuXD

Just last month after the implementation of the new and controversial Fair Use Policy, I got a message from 8888 that I reached the daily cap of 1gb. Since then I have been monitoring my data usage using the pocket wifi's data counter. I started a count from Feb.1 up to present, and a parallel monitoring from my cut-off date, Feb.12 up to today.

I'm not gonna post my actual usage, but from the results I'm getting, I already went past the 3gb monthly data cap.

My daily activity involves watching 30 - 60 minute clips from Youtube, Facebook, E-mail, Messenger, Gaming, and continuous traffic from work. I'm using a Globe Tattoo Pocket WiFi.

Does this mean that I'm not in the "abusing" 3% of data users?

How do they even categorize people into this 3%

FUP can be found here:

Fair Use Policy |Plans and Promos | Mobile Internet - globe.com.ph

• Re: Am I off the 3%?
          ChitoReyes

It's either that or Globe, just like Smart, has strategically chosen not to implement its FUP mechanics just yet until some clarifications have been made or wait until the public reaction calms down.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              soliel

ChitoReyes I don't think the public is calming down soon. The facebook page is littered with angry posts. Especially since they've added the 1gb/3gb allocation for unli surfing in very fine print in their picture ads. If you follow their twitter CSR, they are responding to an average of 20 to 30 people who complain about FUP for each CSR they have.

And now they've extended free facebook to feb 28. More bandwidth congestion.

ChitoReyes

I do agree with you soliel on the public not calming down but remember that is how Globe handled the protest when unlimited SMS was stopped more than a decade and a half ago... they let the subscribers protest for quite some time and wait until they get tired then implement the policy when the public has accepted it.

The key here is to turn the telcos' reasoning against themselves as it is technically possible for them to accommodate their own subscribers if they really want to by expansion of facilities but it would take a little dent from their profits (which they do not want). The telco industry is not any way different from the energy sector where energy providers would not want to expand so demand would be greater and they could justify the higher cost of electricity (and margins).

soliel

They have strict implementation of the 1gb. However they are staying away from the 3gb. Even the statements of their Twitter support have changed. Including the what you can do with 1gb thing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  JofuXD

Thanks for your replies, soliel, ChitoReyes.

It just means I shouldn't keep my hopes up. Not just yet.

I'm still gonna keep monitoring my use, and maybe get a DSL line for home.

I have always been loyal to this telco, I actually recommend it to my colleagues. This would probably be the first heartbreak Globe has given me.

Putting caps for mobile data, sure, I'm okay with that. Since data is mostly minified specially for smartphone-tablet browsers. Problem is, Stick users use their data for their PCs, laptops where data, normally, would be bigger.

Anyway, the best of luck for everyone.

kurdafyo

Globe is another NAPOLES in the guise of telecommunications... Let's point our accusing finger straight to NTC, if globe can't handle bandwidth requirements to current subscribers why impose FUP and making us suffer. Since all the telecoms comes with this bullying terms and condition they should learn Positive economy, improve telecom infrastructure and would invite more and more clientiles...