22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 1:26 PM by zyper95

to root or not to root?

gianthegreat0920

just asking guys, if anong advantages or disadvantages ng rooted devices over the not rooted devices? pinaplano ko kase i'root yung handset ko ee.

• Re: to root or not to root?
          cmangalos

disadvantage - you will lose your warranty. Also pag may pinakialaman ka sa ibang mga files sa system mismo. pwedeng mag boot loop. pero pwede mo namang I reflash. use google on how to.

Advantages - madaming pwedeng gawin pag rooted ka, example, greenify na application lowers down ram consumption and battery usage, kasi naihhibernate nya yung mga apps. there are some apps as well that requires root access. madami pa pang feature ang rooted phone you may google it =)

bottom line, rooting is like double edge sword. If hindi mo alam ang ginagawa mo, i suggest dont do it, or mag basabasa ka muna. but when sh8t happens, you can always reflash your phone.

since nagkarroon ako ng android phone, (cupcake version pa) nairroot ko lagi phone ko, as there are tweaks and stuff na very useful sa phone .

ssoB_Yacci

Hi @gianthegreat0920,

I agree with cmangalos, better wait for the end of the warranty period first para di sayang..

But if its already beyond warranty ok na magroot k na ng device mo para mafully utilized pa ang ibang capacity ng handset.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                ChitoReyes

cmangalos has basically stated the advantages and disadvantages and if your tech savy then I would not wonder if you will attempt to root your phone knowing that there are ways to make it appear unrooted for warranty purposes.

As with anything, there are risks (like bricking and making it unusable) and it entails a lot of reading first to know how and what to do in case something wrong happens. You might want to experiment first with a cheaper device and see if you have what it takes to root a phone.

gianthegreat0920

okay thanks cmangalos well, kaya gusto kong i'root din yung device para mapatagal ko yung battery life, mas nagagamit ko kase ang handset ko for APPS/Games lang ee.

ChitoReyes: i'll take note of that magbabasa muna ako on "how to root device". yoko din naman kase maging brick ang aking device D:

ssoB_Yacci matagal pa warranty neto ee, bibili muna ako ng back'up

GlennLiwanag

one good thing about rooting as mentioned above is you can froze apps that you dont want to run. saves you memory and battery.

I've rooted before my Samsung Galaxy Wonder, and froze apps that are safe to stop. here is the link --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1487073gianthegreat0920

gianthegreat0920

okay thanks btw GlennLiwanag magkakaiba yung ginagamit na software for rooting? tama po ba? and san po ba nakakahanap nito?

cmangalos

Yes, different phone models, different ways of rooting your phone, merong mga application na one click lang rooted na phone mo, meron din naman na need mo ng PC,

you can always check Google, best site to go to XDA.

actually safe namang mag root ng phone, ang problema lang jan is pag meron kang napakialaman sa system mismo. or gumamit ka ng application na hindi compatible sa phone mo tapos i chachange nya yung framework ng phone mo. and again when that happens, reflash mo lang ulit yung phone mo.

basta mag basa basa ka lang palagi, rooting is just the first step,

dont forget this: if naiunlock mo ang bootlloader mo, never try to update your phone OTA pag merong update, automatic paper weigh ang bagsak ng phone mo, unless makakakuha ka ng Jtag.

android world is so fun, lalo na yung mga tweaks na magagawa mo at mga capabilities na pwedeng magawa ng phone mo. Pero read read read, to prevent you blaming yourself.

gianthegreat0920

dun nga ako nawo'worried ee gusto ko sana i'try i'rooy yung Cherry Mobile Flare S, naisip ko lang din kase na baka mas mahirap ito i'root since hindi ito branded.

cmangalos

google mo lang sir.

ang alam ko para i root ang mga cherry mobile. dodownload ka lang ng update.zip file. lalagay mo sa SD card mo. tapos boot your phone to recovery, install update.zip tapos once tapos na reboot. pag reboot nun, boom, paper weigh, joke lang, pag may nakita kang super su na application. rooted na yang phone mo, =)

gianthegreat0920

actually may nakita akong procedure ng rooting nito, using the Vroot yun nga hindi ako ganun ka'confident in taking the procedures. ayoko din naman kaseng ma'brick ang handset ko

zyper95

If you are not confident to root your phone then don't do it. There are always disadvantages when rooting an android phone kahit branded pa yan. Syempre tama yung sinabi ni cmangalos warranty will be voided pag nasira phone mo worst kung na-brick while doing the rooting procedure. Ang good thing lang sa naka-root is you can remove unwanted apps na nilagay ng provider or nung manufacturer, aside from that you can tweak the phone to run more efficiently by adjusting the voltages and processor speed.

GlennLiwanag

It depends on the brand.

Google it just a little bit hehe

angelmicx

As for me, I have rooted my Galaxy Y to Open Line it (this is my first Android Phone).

I also wanted to do other stuffs that would make it better than a standard Galaxy Y, so may I ask what tweaks you guys usually do to your rooted phone/s?

And also what are those "UNWANTED" apps that you suggest I remove but won't affect the phone's abilities?

I wanted to remove a few pero I'm not sure if it would affect my phone's abilities.

This is my list of to be removed apps, would you be so kind as to tell me what I should NOT remove?

1. Browser
                                        2. Google Search

3. Google Messanger

4. Google Talk

5. News & Weather

6. Google Maps (because I want to use Waze instead)

7. Google Voice Search

8. Google Settings

9. Google +

Thanks.. ^_^

GlennLiwanag

download link2SD, from the apps you can froze unwanted apps, after that you can check if the apps is safe to remove or not.

angelmicx

Yup.. I have downloaded thatright after I rooted my phone and froze some apps. I remember that it has a column that say wheather an app is essential or not, but I have doubts on how essential apps were categorized. I mean is the Google Talk really essential?

So besides that, what exactly am I looking for to determine if it is really essential (especially when I freeze it)..

zyper95

Link2SD is only use to minimize the usage of the internal memory of your device in case you want to install more application. Link2SD is use to transfer some of the memory of the application to your external memory (SD Card) so it can free memory of your internal storage. Link2SD, App2SD and a like I this is no longer supported in Jellybean and up.

angelmicx since most of the application that you wanted to remove are part of Android you will need to use the "adb pull" command to remove this application. But the safest way is just disable instead of  uninstalling them. If you are running Ice Cream Sandwich Android, you can disable the application via Settings ---> Application --> All.

gianthegreat0920

btw is there a way para ma'freeze yung mga unwanted apps even without rooting? i'm just curious.