20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 9:03 AM by mranola

How important is WiFi to you?

wifi-logo-transparent-png.pngwifi_logo.jpgAirplane.jpg

Traveling out of the country whether business or leisure sometimes takes a toll on us especially when it comes to our communication expenses (i.e. bill shock on roaming charges, not being able to connect back home, etc.) Hence, our resourcefulness and practicality comes out!

We just like to know what do you do when you get to a foreign land as far as connectivity is concerned. Hope you can enlighten us by answering some questions below:

1. Do you go look for WiFi hotspots when traveling abroad? If so, once connected, what do you do (ex: call, text, surf, etc)?
      2. How important/not important are WiFi hotspots when traveling?
      3. What do you usually use to call your loved ones back home?
      4. Do you call via internet/WiFi? If not, what's stopping you from doing this?
        • Re: How important is WiFi to you?
          Jeian

Hi!

1. I really try to open my laptop everywhere for the WIFI. I always check my e-mails, the community (logged or no logged in) and my facebook account. Also I try to open my website if it is down

2. Wifi is the stablest wireless for me as Carrier type wireless sometimes is not too good and reliable.

3. Yeah. Sometimes I use skype everytime I travel.

4. Yes, As I mention I often use skype or Yo! to call somebody as it is clearest (if you have good speeds) and sometimes lower cost or free

ChitoReyes

1. I have to admit that I do look for wifi hotspots whenever I travel abroad. Once connected the first thing I do is to check my email and time permitting, surf.

2. Wifi hotspots specially those which are free are very important to me though the first thing i do when I'm in a foreign country is to check on the best value of 3G/4G rates given the period of time I would be there so I could access anytime in case free wifi is not available.

3. Skype/Viber and in instances a prepaid service of the country I am in.

4. I do call via internet/wifi if the connection is good but otherwise I use a prepaid service of the country I am in for more important calls which need more reliability.

ishtangli

1. I usually subscribe to roaming bridge plan (if available) when I travel.

2. I like to be online a lot, so it is very important.

3. VOIP

4. Yes, when I need to.

f0xG3

1. Yes and No : While I do hunt for Hotspots if I have the chance (and to reduce battery usage). I would prefer either opening roaming or using another sim to enable data. The former is preferred as Globe does not implement FUP on their UnliData Roaming. Unless of course BridgeData Alliance broke up... then I'll be screwed.

I don't mind the hefty price (P1500 for 5 days) as long as it's literally Unlimited with no CAP. After all I can afford plane tickets, why not the roaming service.

2. It is important but it becomes secondary if I have roaming.

3. VoIP : Skype, BBM Voice, Viber etc...

4. Yes! I am averse to cellular calls abroad. They're expensive.

WILLfindways

Hello, Fellow Wonderful Creatures!

Do you go look for WiFi hotspots when traveling abroad? If so, once connected, what do you do (ex: call, text, surf, etc)? Yes, why not? I just use it for BBM and Surfing.

How important/not important are WiFi hotspots when traveling? Very Important if you don't have budget to spare for PowerRoam subscriptions.

What do you usually use to call your loved ones back home? I use my BlackBerry.

Do you call via internet/WiFi? If not, what's stopping you from doing this?  Video/Call is not yet available in BlackBerry before. But I WILL definitely try this on my trip to Greece and Turkey next year.

#TeamBlackBerry

We accept the things we think we deserve.

- The Perks of Being WILL

RNav

GlennO wrote:

Traveling out of the country whether business or leisure sometimes takes a toll on us especially when it comes to our communication expenses (i.e. bill shock on roaming charges, not being able to connect back home, etc.) Hence, our resourcefulness and practicality comes out!

We just like to know what do you do when you get to a foreign land as far as connectivity is concerned. Hope you can enlighten us by answering some questions below:

1. Do you go look for WiFi hotspots when traveling abroad? If so, once connected, what do you do (ex: call, text, surf, etc)?
                    2. How important/not important are WiFi hotspots when traveling?
                    3. What do you usually use to call your loved ones back home?
                    4. Do you call via internet/WiFi? If not, what's stopping you from doing this?
                    1. I always activate a BDU subscription but free WiFi is okay. I use the internet for checking-in using Foursquare (my check-ins are synced with my calendar) and for uploading photos.
                    2. Somewhat important (saves on battery).
                    3. Viber/Skype/FaceTime to maximize usage of BDU
                    4. Yes when the need arises.
                        ches720

Hello RNav, what do you think are the disadvantages of a wifi connection vs BDU? Given that the former is free of charge. thanks

RNav

ches720: WiFi is highly identified as a service available at a hotel, at the mall, at a restaurant, at a cafe, at home, at an office. Consequently, it's something usually unavailable at and unassociated to "outdoor" locations like the park, the beach, the forest, on top of a mountain, etc. Should WiFi be made available at a famous foreign park or tourist spot, you could use FaceTime to share the beautiful scenery to a loved one at that moment. Should WiFi be made accessible at a slightly remote beach or on top of a famous mountain top, you could possibly use Skype to capture and share the amazing sunset/sunrise experience to a grounded friend "real time".

kiBa

I would probably be lost without a WiFi or anything similar to connect to the internet. Otherwise, purchasing or ask some relatives for a spare local SIM should be very handy.

Here's my responses to the survey GlennO:

1. Definitely YES, especially if you're not subscribe to any mobile roaming services. Usually, I do send messages or make calls if Skype & Viber is working good in the country.

2. Very important. It keeps you connected to the world

3. If Skype & Viber are available, probably both. And if subscribe to mobile roaming services, then probably just send them a text message.

4. When available? Definitely YES. Restrictions and rates.

Have a good day!

oaba09

1. Whenever I go out of the country or even just out of town, I make sure that my hotel offers free wifi. I don't need something fast, I just need it for basic browsing and emails. I also use it for video calls over the internet and some messaging since roaming charges can be quite excessive.

2. As someone who's tech oriented, wifi connectivity is very important to me.

3. Facetime/skype

4. yes

King SC

It is very important.. It keeps you updated & connected for free

mranola

In response to your questions, please kindly see my answers besides the question.  Wi Fi is quite important for me, to be able to stay connected with my business, family, and friends.  Which is why I always choose a hotel with free Wi Fi.  I also buy a prepaid Mobile Data sim card, which I use with my mobile wi fi, in whichever country I am.  Thank you.

1. Do you go look for WiFi hotspots when traveling abroad? If so, once connected, what do you do (ex: call, text, surf, etc)?  Yes, I do.  But I prefer using my own mobile wi fi, as security is a concern when using public wi fi.  When connected I call, text, surf, e-mail, browse, read online news, etc.
                                2. How important/not important are WiFi hotspots when traveling? It is very important for me, as I do not want to spend to much on my telephone bill.
                                3. What do you usually use to call your loved ones back home? Viber, and Skype.
                                4. Do you call via internet/WiFi? If not, what's stopping you from doing this? Yes, I do call using internet/WiFi.