23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2017 4:28 PM by sergeykandaurov

When is Globe planning to stop the hacking of websites through their 'faketoolbar' script?

ellenkampguus

Just wanted to know when Globe is planning the unethical if not criminal activity changing of website content as explained in Globe hacking websites through the Globe infrastructure.

• Re: When is Globe planning to stop the hacking of websites through their 'faketoolbar' script?
          Jeian

Good day!

Globe is not hacking any websites as they are not changing any codes through the website's sever. It is because Globe's proxy has the modification which is legal as "Private Network can do". Also Globe can only put this toolbar if your connection through the server is on HTTP and never will be HTTPS. as Only HTTP can be filtered and modified on the fly while HTTPS is raised as importand and secured so Globe will never do that.

• Re: When is Globe planning to stop the hacking of websites through their 'faketoolbar' script?
              ellenkampguus

To me changing html where you don't have the copyright is at least copyright infringement. Most people just call it hacking. Whether it is a secure website or not is not important as I consider my rights as owner of the html code of my own sites violated. Much bigger issue is, that if I can't trust my own renowned internet service provider like Globe, who can I trust? Are all telecom companies between me and web servers changing stuff? I doubt it, but I wouldn't expect this kind of behavior of a company like Globe, whether it's legal or not. It's at least unethical as users would presume websites they open are shown as designed by the website owner and not tampered with by companies like Globe or AT&T. And if they are changing non-secure websites, are they also changing non-secure e-mails?

pongstr

Jeian im guessing you're either a globe employee or a fan boy/girl. Anyway, some thoughts on what you said:

Globe is not hacking any websites as they are not changing any codes through the website's sever. It is because Globe's proxy has the modification which is legal as "Private Network can do".

You're wrong, Tampering Content whether it's served via http or https is considered hacking. Look it up. This might not be illegal BUT you're missing the point, we don't want it or need it, STOP INJECTING THESE SCRIPTS.

Also Globe can only put this toolbar if your connection through the server is on HTTP and never will be HTTPS.

BUT WE DONT WANT IT, AND WE DEFINITELY DONT NEED IT. SO STOP, we're paying for bandwidth and to have these scripts to every non-ssl sites we visit, then GLOBE is robbing us our bandwidth. geeezzzzzussss

as Only HTTP can be filtered and modified on the fly while HTTPS is raised as importand and secured so Globe will never do that

I think I've made my point from my previous replies.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM:

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 10.58.07 PM.png

The Proof:

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 11.07.55 PM.png

King SC

Globe will not waste time & effort for that kind of activity

King SC

If this is true, please share more info about this

ellenkampguus

Why mess with websites of other people? Why not just create an app for this type of thing what other companies do?

Jeian

It will only affect the on fly html. It will never affect e-mail. And only

http hosted websites, mean free hosted blogs and more. Facebook, google,

yahoo, YouTube and others that use https will not be affected by this. You

should not worrying about copyright as the toolbar do not say that the

website, images and it's content is owned by globe. Its just a fast and

easy way to check your balance and the promo you can afford.

Sent from my Windows Phone

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 1:38 AM, ellenkampguus <

ellenkampguus

Still, I don't agree Globe changing my websites, my html. I am the owner and I don't agree Globe changing my websites, my html code as people may presume my website is hacked, which it is. I also presume other website owners don't agree with Globe changing their websites. And if Globe is changing websites now, who says they are not going to change e-mails in the future? That's the scary part.

Jeian

Why you don't need to worry

1.You also don't need to worry, this only happens when you are using mobile

data and does not affect Wimax, LTE and even DSL.

2. Globe cannot change e-mails as e-mails talks from your server to the

server of the domain you received the mail or sent the mail and do not pass

through the globe's server. It uses a different kind of technology on

transferring e-mails. On your end naman from server to client(YOU), it

should not be possible also because the toolbar is good for http sites and

all e-mail servers that are commercially available(not-self hosted) are

using HTTPS protocol to protect their system.

3. Globe is legal and follow rules and regulation even for the privacy of

their customers.

4. I am also a website owner, I say It's optional, You don't need to agree

or disagree as the toolbar does not do anything on your system or on your

end. It is just affecting some subscribers of it that wanted the toolbar.

5. You may disable the toolbar

6. You may put a note on your Globe Subscribers Visitors that your website

is not hacked but Globe's system had installed a toolbar on the sites who

are not using SSL/HTTPS

= http://www.jnet.cf/ =

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM, ellenkampguus <

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                        ellenkampguus

Are you working for Globe or something? And don't get me wrong, I'm not against any Globe toolbar as it seems you like it, but normally that would be done through apps or browser extensions, not through changing html code of someone else.

1. I am not mobile, I am on LTE business and I do get the inserted script. I also saw it on Wimax before.
                                        2. I am using smtp/pop3 unsecured so Globe is certainly capable of changing e-mails.
                                        3. I consider Globe changing my websites I have the copyright rights illegal as the script becomes an integrated part of my website code. If not illegal according to Philippine law I consider changing html code of websites at least unethical.
                                        4. The script is not optional. It's inserted through the Globe infrastructure and there is nothing you can do to erase it as it becomes an integrated part of a web page.
                                        5. I am a web developer and there is no way to disable the script (I never saw the toolbar). I am just encountering problems with testing my sites as they don't show up as I designed them or (the html code) or don't show up fully, like being cut in the middle. This only happens when using Globe as internet service provider, nowhere else. And as Globe is making changes to my sites they are the biggest (and only) suspect for my problems with testing/opening some of my sites.
                                        6. So as a website owner I need to put a message on all my websites for all internet service providers in the world that may insert malware/spyware or toolbars like Globe. Not sure how to explain that to my customers.
                                            Jeian

I am not affiliated nor an agent of Globe. I am just a subscriber like you, a web designer like you.

1. I am not mobile, I am on LTE business and I do get the inserted

script. I also saw it on Wimax before.  -* This is available on Tattoo

Prepaid. Please create a proper documentation via the hotline*

2. I am using smtp/pop3 unsecured so Globe is certainly capable of

changing e-mails. -  *Nope, STMP and POP3 can be secured and the e-mails

are transferred from server to server not Globe!, Please try to know more

about E-mail exchange before raising this up :)*

3. I consider Globe changing my websites I have the copyright rights

illegal as the script becomes an integrated part of my website code. If not

illegal according to Philippine law I consider changing html code of

websites at least unethical. -* This is legal, if this is illegal, why

do private networks can use this feature too?*

4. The script is not optional. It's inserted through the Globe

infrastructure and there is nothing you can do to erase it as it becomes an

integrated part of a web page. -* You can, You may use

this http://tattoo.globe.com.ph/itoolbar-faq

5. I am a web developer and there is no way to disable the script (I

never saw the toolbar). I am just encountering problems with testing my

sites as they don't show up as I designed them or (the html code) or don't

show up fully, like being cut in the middle. This only happens when using

Globe as internet service provider, nowhere else. And as Globe is making

changes to my sites they are the biggest (and only) suspect for my problems

with testing/opening some of my sites. -* I TOLD YOU YOU

CAN http://tattoo.globe.com.ph/itoolbar-faq (Number 21)

6. So as a website owner I need to put a message on all my websites for

all internet service providers in the world that may insert malware/spyware

or toolbars like Globe. Not sure how to explain that to my

customers. - *Sorry  for misleading text, It was for Tattoo Prepaid Only*

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM, ellenkampguus <

ellenkampguus

I never saw the Tattoo toolbar, I only saw the script. You may be right the script can be turned off. I did report the script to our account manager long time ago, but until now the script is still there and the Globe support staff doesn't seem to know it's related to the Tattoo toolbar.

Agree that you can secure pop3/smtp mail. But should users do everything encrypted because  renowned company like Globe involves themselves changing data that is sent unsecured?

I am not 100% sure if it's legal what they are doing, although a lawyer friend of mine called it hacking, implying it's illegal. I reported the issue to the DOJ who passed it on to the NBI, so we'll know if it's legal or not according to Philippine law. As indicated before, to me it's at least unethical to change html of websites on-the-fly, not being the owner of the html code. You seem to have a different opinion, which of course is ok and why we are having this discussion.

I don't see the toolbar and never saw the toolbar, so you can certainly turn it off. And I am not against the toolbar. I just don't agree with how it's implemented. Until now our account manager has not been able to have the script being turned off, while I reported it months ago.

My issue is not about the Tattoo Toolbar. It's about Globe changing html code they don't own without informing subscribers properly what is actually going on: changing content of web pages of other people. And indeed, putting some kind of proxy server in between without subscribers knowing what that actually means.

Jeian

Good day!

I understand your frustration. But, the script is well gone to globe telecom mobile data infrastructure but can be turned off on the client's end. Also, it is not called hacking as the code is not changed on your server. It is changed on some subscribers of globe that uses the Mobile Technology. Proxy is another thing, this proxy is transparent and only adds the code, it is the proxy server the blocks and allows access to use the internet even that you are connected in the globe network. It is sort of a a secondary gate from the firewalls.

"Agree that you can secure pop3/smtp mail. But should users do everything encrypted because  renowned company like Globe involves themselves changing data that is sent unsecured?" - Are you sure what you are saying about this? Have you read how mail works? (How email works - YouTube) the e-mail is passed through servers of your e-mail domain. It will never be passed and modified trough Globe. As e-mails has own encryption techniques also.

I might agree that the script might show off on LTE, 4G, and 3G that uses mobile internet connectivity but it should not affect your browsing expirience. For designers like you and me, I suggest getting a secured protocol if you really wanted security and reputation.

Also, Define hacking - Illegal Hacking is the process where an hacker or an attacker controls your equipment via remote by using any vulnerability of the device and the firmware of any device. (Globe do not control or use any vulnerability on your system to manipulate it completely to all customers of your site)

- JNET.CF|  Is Hacking Legal or Not? -

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      ellenkampguus

Globe is inserting scripts in non-secure websites as they confirm in the reply above. See Globe Philippines hacking websites what is exactly inserted and how (also confirmed in the above reply). Most people call inserting scripts like this hacking or virus or malware or spyware, but as per answer above not Globe. To me it's also copyright infringement, as i thought I was the owner of the html code of the websites I own.

renmh

I agree to this. Globe should stop this. Our company is using an inter-branch site and this fake toolbar is preventing some of our javascript to run properly. We are paying globe as an ISP and not to mess-up with our site. Your toolbar IS NOT HELPING instead it is making us hate globe. This is very ANNOYING!

sergeykandaurov

They still do it, and many people are either unaware on unhappy about this. This activity is illegal because:

1. It tampers with content without customer's knowledge.

2. It creates additional traffic that a customer is charged for

3. It violates my copyright rights because I didn't gave Gobe permission to modify source code of my web sites. I only gave Globe permission to server it "as is" without any modifications.

How about class action against Globe? Any ideas how to start it?