13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 8:29 AM by fervish

iPhone 5 Faulty Power Button

fervish

I had an iPhone 5 with a plan last March 2013 and had been using it for almost 1 year. However, recently, the power button becomes 'unclickable' or i had to press it hard to get it work. I read around Apple forums that they are aware of this faulty power button of iPhone 5 and offered a program for replacement of such. Here is the link: iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program - Apple Support

Can i ask please if anyone had there iPhone sent for replacement to Globe? Can someone please tell me how to do it? Thank you.

• Re: iPhone 5 Faulty Power Button
          notevenfollowed

Out of warranty na ata yan ser

zyper95

Did you input the serial number of your phone at that link to see if your device is covered by the said defect? If you did and the result stated that you are qualified, you can just proceed to the Apple Store and show the link to them. Now if your device is not qualified and your phone is already out of warranty, you don't have any choice but you need to pay for the repair.

gevangelista

That happened to me before.  I checked online and based on my serial number I did qualify for warranty.  I brought it to an authorised service center, Power Mac Center to exact, and the result of their findings was that I couldn't avail of the warranty because my phone had scratches.  I argued with them that the scratches had nothing to do with the power button but they refused to budge.  The next time I travelled I went into an Apple Retail Store and they did something about it no questions asked.  When I told them the story of what happened with Power Mac Center they gave me an address to email and told me to file a complaint.  On another note, I also brought my Laptop to them for service and after more than a week they informed me that there was nothing wrong with it.  It made a funny noise but even if it obvious they insisted that everything was normal.  Again when I travelled I brought it to an Apple Store and they informed me that they should have replaced the cooling fans.  They said I was lucky that my laptop didn't overheat and cause greater problems.  At any rate, I know a couple of people who had the button repaired in Greenhills and it cost less than a thousand bucks and about 30 mins to replace.

fervish

Thanks. Finally i can post on my mobile as posting in my laptop has error. Well, i brought my iphone at a Globe store and they said i am out of warranty. They refer me to a service center too in Quezon City. Anyway, this is one of the disappointments in having a premium handset as you cannot avail of the warranty. Nakakapanghinayang that for some small reasons sasabihin sau to deter you from availing warranty. Only in the Philippines...

fervish

Just an update on this. I went down to Makati and visited Power Mac Center Glorietta 5, i showed them my iPhone 5. After signing some papers, i was told to wait for 3-7 days for assessment. Two days later, i got an sms that my phone is approved by Apple for replacement and i would wait for another 3-4 weeks for the replacement unit to arrive from Singapore. That's until Dec 30 2014.

For the record: PMC noted the scratches and dents on my phone but wasn't rejected for the replacement program cause of those. They took the unit only. No accessories. Turned off Find My iPhone and erased everything. They further told me that it is a replacement as the sleep/wake button cannot be repaired as a separate part. So to anyone having issues with their button, try Power Mac Center or Beyond the Box or QCD Technologies. Those stores will replace your phone right away after assessment if they have stocks.