3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 3:04 PM by LeeTsubasa

Globe Traffic Shaping

LeeTsubasa

I have reason to believe that Globe has been doing this much aggressively this past few weeks. Specially now that I've upgraded to a 10mbps plan. Whenever I do Speedtest on Speedtest.net the Speed I get there does not really reflect on what I really get. They might be doing some of the things that other ISPs specially in the US in the past have been doing to fake Speedtests. This will fall in deaf ears for now since most of the general populace here in the Philippines doesn't know much about the internet aside from Social Media -_-

I've been using a Tool to measure both my bandwidth and speed so I know that the speed I'm seeing in Speedtest is just fake and doesn't reflect the real world speed that I'm getting. I only get about 500kbps to 2mbps on my current upgraded plan (realistically).

• Re: Globe Traffic Shaping
          Charles_Que

Try testmy.net unlike speedtest.net which uses java, they use a download based speedtest that really reflects what your speed is. I use it most of the time with speedtest.net to test if the two are alike and you're right. Most of the speed is just 1/2 of what the result of the ones in speedtest.net

LeeTsubasa

Well, testmy.net is much better since it better reflects the "loading" or the actual speed in which a page loads. The idea is, if you're going to test your speed on speedtest.net the most optimum is if it's testing on the ISP's location or server for that test which will of course, most of the time, will reflect a good speed since you're connecting just to their server. While testmy.net tests it to different locations or CDN which is much more realistic since you're not browsing websites or downloading files on Globe's servers right, most of the time we are browsing to different websites to different servers on foreign countries so our speed should reflect that. If it only reflects the connection speed to the ISP's server then there's no point to it.

ChitoReyes

With them controlling everything and even defining the parameters of a Fair Use Policy would we still wonder?

In all fairness to Globe, it is not only them doing it but I would think all ISPs do it.