5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 3:58 AM by noelskiph

Transfer of ownership charges

rxnndlstn

Hi. I have transferred account ownership (from my mom to me) last February. No downgrade of plan. No early recontracting. Just transfer. Why was my mom billed for "pre-termination charges" this cutoff? I have clarified this with the globe representative I talked to about the transfer of ownership and he did not mention anything about paying charges for this even the account is still under the lock up period. Could this be reversed? Thanks!

@glennO

• Re: Transfer of ownership charges
          ChitoReyes

If you are under the "Best Ever My Superplan", please note that under Section F of the Terms and Conditions (which we assumed your mom as the original subscriber signed):

"... During the Holding Period, the Subscriber shall NOT TERMINATE, DOWNGRADE, ASSIGN OR TRANSFER any right or obligation of, his/her Best-ever MY SUPER PLAN Subscription. Otherwise, Subscriber shall pay the Pre-termination Fee and Php 550 Administration Fee. "

rxnndlstn

It was a contract signed two years ago. It's almost impossible to remember everything there. I asked the customer rep when I processed my request. He told me that we will only incur charges when the plan will be terminated or downgraded. Which was not the case. I don't even know how they came up with the computation.

ChitoReyes

I understand your situation and in which case you can appeal your case for the following reasons:

1. You do not recall having a copy of the contract nor recall globe giving you a copy (many Globe Centers do not give a copy  of the terms and conditions unless requested and even if requested, it takes a long period of time before you can get a copy or delivered to you. I don't think it is a secret that 90% of the subscribers do not have copies of their contracts nor the terms and conditions signed at the time of their application. Note that the terms and conditions stated online are very general and sometimes even different from what the subscribers sign.).

2. At the time you inquired about the transfer, the CSR did not disclose to you that there would be pre-termination charges. This is in violation of the Consumer Act of the Philippines on the right to be informed about a product or service. You may request for the recorded conversation or the transcript of your conversation since Globe claims that their calls are recorded.

3. The transfer is within close family relations and not just any third party and that due diligence had been done by Globe for the qualification of such transfer making the risk very low and not necessitating any extra charges. Additional guarantees could be provided by the transferer and the transferee since they are closely related.

4. Since the contract is nearly 2 years or towards the end of the contract, a special consideration may be requested because of the above circumstances.

Personally I think that those are strong justifications already and it just might take some time before they would reverse those charges.  If in case they refuse however, you may want to reverse your request of transfer and just do so at the end of the lock in period (which should be in a few months time).

For the computation of Pre-termination charges, such could also be found in section F of the Terms and Conditions.

"...The Pre-termination Fee shall be computed as follows: Pre-termination Fee = Handset Base Price [HBP] - Cashout / Total Holding Period x Remaining Holding Period "