2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 8:39 AM by rzxxiii

Bandwidth Hoggers

rzxxiii

Hi, Our current internet is the 10mb Globe Tattoo plan. The speed is great, but then this is the family internet it means a lot of devices is connected here. I mean a lot. 2 Desktop Computers, 1 Laptop, 12 Smartphones and 2 Tablets. I'm the one paying the bill, so of course I want the speed. I know it sounds selfish. But it really is infuriating when you're trying to get some work done but then one of the devices hogs all the bandwidth. Now what I want to know is how can I control their bandwidth usage? Our current setup is the Globe Router(Aztec) is Connected to a Linksys E1000 router via LAN Cable, then from the Linksys router, My computer is directly connected to it using again a LAN Cable, and a repeater is connected too using the same method. And the other devices are wirelessly connected. Can anyone help me? BTW, you can use tech jargon. I'm a computer science graduate.

Update: The linksys was not bought by me, it was the setup of my Ninong's friend who was IDK a guy who could setup network shiz.

Thank you

• Re: Bandwidth Hoggers
          kaglobestephen

Hi rzxxiii,

Here's the technical jargon answer for you:

Your main concern is that you have traffic flowing in both directions.  There's upstream (the data you send our to the Internet) and downstream (the data that is sent you from the internet).  Whether you have a linksys, Aztec or even the fanciest Cisco or Juniper the reality is that you can control traffic in one direction only.

Therefore your home router can only control the rate of the traffic it sends *out* to the Internet.  Thus it would be completely ineffective and counter productive to try and regulate the traffic coming in because it would *already* have arrived at the router through the DSL line (the point of your congestion).

Most large organisations and IT professionals who have access to both ends of the link would use QoS (quality of service) and incorporate some means of rate-limiting strategy such as weighted fair queuing or class based for the more advanced.

Unfortunately at this point Globe does not deploy QoS on their routers for @Home  products.

Although you don't necessarily have access to both routers there is still some limited hope.  If your router does allow you to set the outbound rate of each of your connections you will have some limited success.  Remember, in TCP you will only get traffic as fast as you can acknowledge it. UDP it's a different story however.  Therefore you might be able to give yourself a static IP and define yourself a priority queue in your router.  Everyone else you group in to the lowest priority queue.  This may free up a small enough segment of bandwidth for you to use.

I hope this helps in some way on your quest for bandwidth freedom

• Re: Bandwidth Hoggers
              rzxxiii

Hi,

This was actually pretty helpful. After posting this last night, I tinkered with both routers the Aztec and the Linksys. Found out that yeah the default globe router has no QOS interface. And the linksys was already configured by someone so I had to hard reset it to configure it again.

I think the only solution I came up is to ask the family to connect to the Linksys Wireless connection instead of the Aztec. Because Linksys has a QOS interface that can prioritize bandwidth on certain application and devices through their settings.

Thanks!