13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:12 PM by iankhim

High Ping on Dota 2

homunculus00

Im getting 100+ ping on the game, and i have a 3mbps plan.GLOBE.jpggllobe2.jpg

• Re: High Ping on Dota 2
          jsincioco

Based on the traceroute, packets reroute to Hong Kong (153.254.86.5), and is the primary cause for the latency. Now this is fishy because that IP is owned by Valve. Based on the earlier traces Globe DOES connect directly to Singapore, but Valve hops the packet to Hong Kong, THEN BACK to Singapore again. I don't know who's at fault with this but the other ISP does not experience this issue (I have access to both ISPs). You should report this both to Valve and Globe.

jsincioco

One thing to note however is that one hop (120.28.4.170, this is Globe's own server) is taking considerably longer than usual compared to other packets. Its' RTT response time (109-146ms) can mean the server is under load, or the server is placing the packets under low priority. If the latter is true (which is more likely), then Globe is at fault in this because they can set the packets being sent to/received from Valve to a higher priority. Low-priority packets are evident because the server located on Singapore (119.27.63.72) responded at a faster latency (80ms) compared to a server that is still located inside the country (146ms).

Arnel S. Bansil

Howdy homunculus00!

I'll refer you to our resident techie guysoftech.

Thanks.

iankhim

Hi ! i have a big problem here. my ping is on a stable 1.2k ms in singapore server and i can't play well.

Any concern about this? I'm experiencing bad services with globe and i hope you can fix this.
                  my area is Sitio Tarnate Mandaue City, Cebu. LTE Tattoo home 1299 plan and directly connected to PC.

Thanks

jobberwalk

Lucky you compared to mine, been suffering with this problem ever since Globe LTE was installed and it's been 4 months now. And all they ever told me was they are sorry and I should just keep checking my internet speed. How crazy is that? Couldn't wait for NTC to check our area.

And my plan is 5mbps. Malvar Batangas area. Always been like this. Even when just opening Facebook site, after you log in, it'll be spammed with " Request timed out ". Will only revert back to normal once you closed your browser. Sh*tty service.

Ping 9k timeouts 900.png

jsincioco

Hmm, LTE + remote areas do not mix well.

Question: Do you have a neighbor that shares the same experience?

If yes, you are simply too far away from a Globe base station or there seems to be something interfering to your connection like during a storm. Rainwater is a leading cause of interference due to it being a good conductor/absorbing telecommunication signals. Second reason is you're connecting at peak hours and the base station is congested.

If not, maybe your antennas got misaligned due to storms/high winds.

Reminder is all wireless communication medias may (and will) suffer a higher bit of latency, like what you experience earlier (150ms with occasional timeouts). Your later case however is an effect of something interfering your connection to the base stations (likely a misaligned antenna, or a building/rainstorm blocking the antenna's line of sight with Globe's tower), or a congested base station (Globe LTE stations in places like Batangas are rather quite lacking in number). A direct line of sight from the tower to your antenna is essential for good connections.

jobberwalk

What do you mean by remote area? If it means being too far from a Globe tower, I don't think so.. there's a Globe Tower where my antennae is facing at ( Globe technicians/agents set it up ) and its really near, like a 15~20mins walk. I can see the tower whenever I go to the main road.

I've been monitoring my internet connection/speed for the past 5months from 7 in the morning to 12 midnight.. Monday to Sunday.. and during those time, there is no change. A 5mbps plan acting like a 500kbps. Even on the first week of the month where my cap reset and I could have enjoy the full capacity of download speed, I still only have a 10~40kbps which is supposedly around 600kbps if you do the math.. so I think peak hours or not, doesn't matter.

The ping that you can see on the picture which is below 150ms is when I'm not doing anything (everything is loaded up so no download/upload happening). But when I click the refresh pings, that's where the ping sky rocket and request timed out occurs. Even when browsing, everything is request timed out until I close my browser. What more when I try to play an online game?

I posted a topic on what I am experiencing Globe Tattoo @Home LTE Broadband 5mbps Plan, Malvar Batangas Area

So again, the Globe tower is really near, no trees/structures blocking the signal, for that my signal strength is stable at 4 bars. monitoring almost 24/7 so idk what to say about peak hours, unless Globe wants their customers to only use their service from 1am till the sun rises.lol

jsincioco

Then interference is out of the causes. Main issue now is congestion. There are too many people using the same tower at once. In mobile communications one tower can have a set maximum bandwidth to transmit and receive internet communication to Globe's backbone.

I don't know how much Globe puts in your base station, but let's assume they set it at 5 gigabits/sec. Now you will share that bandwidth with every Globe mobile user in your area (including you since your antenna is actually suited for mobile use).

Coupled with Batangas being a popular enough vacation spot, and with those users always uploading stuff like videos and pictures, exhausting the upload portion of the base station's bandwidth (which I have no idea what amount) you have a user base that is fluctuating every day.

Much like peak hours in EDSA, peak hours means the time most of these users are online and using the base station. These slots are usually between 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM. Off-peak hours are usually midnights when most of the users are asleep, as you said.

If you experience smooth browsing/faster ping only in midnights, this is exactly your problem. Sadly, the only solutions are getting a subscription with a physical (DSL/Fibre) line, Globe upgrading their base station in your area, or changing to other providers.

Note that if you are constantly getting 10 Kilobytes/sec (like every day), you can file a complaint at NTC since Globe is breaking a memorandum that all ISPs should provide a minimum of 256kbps/sec (or around 32 kilobytes/sec) for all broadband connections 80% of the time. You can read more here: http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=TopStory&title=gov&8217t-sets-minimum-broadband-speed&id=113577

Also, you might never reach that advertised 5 megabits/sec. I have a 1599 line too, but the only maximum speed it has ever attained is around 4.4mbits/sec at off peak hours. Globe never said you are guaranteed to reach those speeds, you just can theoretically browse at a maximum of that speed.

jobberwalk

Thanks for the link jsincioco, the way I understand it, as long as Globe maintains their 32kbps minimum download speed, they still passes that memorandum? So it won't matter whether you're on a 3mbps, 5mbps or even 10mbps plan? That's BS. I availed the 5mbps plan so that I can browse faster than a 3mbps plan but in the end, we still have the same speed. F that.haha..

Anyway, hope you checked the link I have given. I never have experience smooth browsing and better ping, actually I tried staying up until 2am but no luck, browsing and gaming still at its worse. I will give Globe until the end of October then transfer to other ISP if there will still be no change.

Here's a picture of when I opened my browser today and reply for this.

Opening Google Site.png

Took like 10 to 15 seconds before the page appear and it's just the Google site. No other devices are using the internet and no other application running.

I might not reply on this thread again since I made my own topic with my problem, so I will be thankful if you will check it out. Here's the link again for that thread Re: Globe Tattoo @Home LTE Broadband 5mbps Plan, Malvar Batangas Area

Jeian

jsincioco - You are correct. However, common Globe Towers are rumored to be runnning at 100Mbps (Connected by the DSL Backbone) and/or 10Gbps (Fibr Backbone). However, these are multiplied by number of station per radius and divided to 2G, 3G, and 4G. Also, there are other persons bugging their physical hardware.

Globe improves their network but due to booming business, they seems having problems in non-common area but have too many subscribers such as in Batangas including but not limited to Cavite (Tagaytay, Trece, Bacoor, Imus and Dasmariñas).

Though, if you are subscribed to Globe, you will see that the tower itself and it is not about the globe network that limits your internet speed. If you do a speedtest with Globe Servers, it is also near with the speeds you can get with the outside internet world.

Not like the other company, They are on the other hand, has proxy. If you do a speedtest on the ISP of the other company, it will produce faster speed than the internet world.

pizza

Sir from batangas city ako parehas tayo ng na situation regarding sa high ping on dota 2.. masama nito may ari ako ng cafe so talagang luge na.. 1 month na sya hindi stable ung connection.. na resolve naba sir yung problem mo?

iankhim

Hi ! i have a big problem here. my ping is on a stable 1.2k ms in singapore server and i can't play well.

Any concern about this? I'm experiencing bad services with globe and i hope you can fix this.
                                my area is Sitio Tarnate Mandaue City, Cebu. LTE Tattoo home 1299 plan and directly connected to PC.

Thanks