31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2014 3:20 AM by JhunYcaro

Tips to extend Android/IOS battery life

RoveenCarlo

Our mobile phones are so indispensable that we cant afford leaving our houses with battery half empty. Before leaving, I ensure that my mobile phone is 100% fully charged and can maintain its life and performance for the next 8 hours before I can have it plugged again. Since I have data services, i can hardly keep my phone running for 8 hours straight. however recently, i discovered tips to making your battery lasts longer.

1. Brightness - Although most phones come with a light sensor that is used to automatically adjust brightness of the display, you need to manually set the brightness as low as possible to maximize battery life. The automatic setting constantly alters the brightness and that leads to higher consumption. Also, keep the screen time out as short as possible to save more battery.

2. Sign off - I too love checking my social network apps every now and then, however keeping these apps run at background can greatly decrease your battery life. Make sure to sign off all social apps when not in use.

3. Uninstall unnecessary apps- Yes, you have to uninstall apps which you do not use that often. Aside from sparing your battery life, you'll have more rooms for other apps worth saving

4. Spare Batteries - Manufacturers provide replacement batteries - either the same or larger capacity than the original. Get a spare battery and keep it charged as a reserve. For IOS, you can have battery pack as a reserve :smileyhappy:

5. GPS - Turn off your GPS.

6. WiFi - When at home, I use Wifi to connect to the internet and I turn off my data services. Wifi consumes less battery compared to data/3G.

7. Turn yout Data Off at Bedtime - "Patay patay din ng data pag may time" , unless you are expecting someone to call or text you via Viber or any other messaging apps that require data services.

8. ...and keep it cool - Batteries work best in cooler temperatures, with prolonged warm periods gradually lowering their efficiency over time. Putting your phone in a looser pocket might help, or perhaps just gently fanning it while it charges. That might not be the best use of your working day, but at least you'll still be able to get on Twitter on the train home.

Do you have anything to add? Share with us what you think works for you.. :smileyhappy:

• Re: Tips to extend Android/IOS battery life
          Jeian
          Update your Phone's Operating system as always like once a week or every release. There are new tweaks to a new version of your phone operating system to optimize your battery life.

Install a battery monitor. Battery monitor tracks and help you to optimize Brightness, GPS, Wifi and 3g so you you can change it to your pre-set settings all of a push of a button

Do not overwork it. Please do not charge your battery if the phone is not turned on. Why? Phone's operating system is helping too to prevent overcharging and leaving it off might decrease you battery life

Kill running apps. Killing or Closing running apps is the common problem for short battery life. The apps could use the resources CPU and Memory and it will increase your battery usage. This could be also done if you dont want to uninstall it

Refresh your connection to the tower as often as possible. You may try to use Network enchancers in your mobile. It changes some settings to maximize the signal from your carrier without involving much battery consumption
              AkoSiRyan

"Install a battery monitor. Battery monitor tracks and help you to optimize Brightness, GPS, Wifi and 3g so you you can change it to your pre-set settings all of a push of a button"

Installation of Battery Monitoring apps is an additional load to the battery since it is constantly running on the background process... like what the descritpion said Battery monitor tracks... meaning it is always active.

you already contradict your other tip stating that... "Kill running apps. Killing or Closing running apps is the common problem for short battery life. The apps could use the resources CPU and Memory and it will increase your battery usage. This could be also done if you dont want to uninstall it"

AkoSiRyan
                "Install a battery monitor. Battery monitor tracks and help you to optimize Brightness, GPS, Wifi and 3g so you you can change it to your pre-set settings all of a push of a button"

Installation of Battery Monitoring apps is an additional load to the battery since it is constantly running on the background process... like what the descritpion said Battery monitor tracks... meaning it is always active.

you already contradict your other tip stating that... "Kill running apps. Killing or Closing running apps is the common problem for short battery life. The apps could use the resources CPU and Memory and it will increase your battery usage. This could be also done if you dont want to uninstall it"
                somuchfordepth

Going for screen wallpapers of a darker color also helps in the same way that lowering the brightness level does. Uses less battery to display it.

It would also help to refrain from using the phone whenever charging. If possible, turn it off when charging (if you can help it :smileyhappy:)  I've noticed that my phone lasts a little less than it normally does when I use my phone as it is charging (especially if you keep wifi/data on)

Jeian
                    @somuchfordepth

Turning off the phone is not applicable. You may overcharge the phone thus making the overcharge protection from the phone's OS unoperational
                        AkoSiRyan
                        Charging circuit has a different layout on the board or the cellularphone thus, when charging when cellphone is OFF is not a problem and will not cause overcharging. because this firmware for charging act separately from the android os when the phone is turned ON.

have you ever wonder why thus the phone indicates it is charging even when it is OFF? that is because there are firmware that manage this charging circuit and when the battery is full charge, it also indicates that the battery is at 100% already.

itachi1

somuchfordepth wrote:

Going for screen wallpapers of a darker color also helps in the same way that lowering the brightness level does. Uses less battery to display it.

I'm not sure with other screen types but this is helpful especially on phones with OLED screens (more known as AMOLED/Super AMOLED). It doesn't produce any light if the pixel on the image is black, so one can squeeze more battery out their phones. This is also the reason why OLED screens produce the deepest blacks and great contrast ratio.

AkoSiRyan
                          using darker color wallpapers are applicable only for AMOLED or LED Screen display smartphone.... not applicable to TFT LCD and the likes...

as AMOLED stands for Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode. a group 3 primary color LED represents a pixel that is turn ON when needed to display a certain image and turn OFF to see a Black color. meaning the more color represented on the whole screen means all LED on the screen are lighted... no color or BLACK is displayed on the screen means all LED are Turned OFF.

its different on TFT LCDS's... Liquid Crystal Display use LED light to illuminate the Screen and electrical charges are responsible for the Liquid Crystal to represent and generate colors and images... meaning even a Black Color/image is displayed on the screen.. the LED back light is always turned ON.
                          mcb
                          1. Turn off wifi once you're not using it.
                          2. Turn off bluetooth once you're not using it.
                          3. Adjust brightness
                          4. "Inver colors" when reading books (it turns background to black and text to white, using less power)
                          5. Close Apps running on the background.
                            GlennLiwanag
                            turn off bluetooth, use your headset :smileyvery-happy:
                              JohnM

I put my tablet on airplane mode while reading ebooks and comics to save battery :catwink:

jonesjonie

GUYS YOU CAN DOWNLOAD NAMAN NG JUICE DEFENDER AND IT HAS PRESETS NAMAN TO CHOOSE IF YOU REALLY NEEDS TO CONSUME YOUR BATTERY LIFE WISELY. ACTUALLY A LOT OF BATTERY SAVING APPS ARE AVAILABLE TO GET NAMAN...

DennisCasiño

RoveenCarlo wrote:

8. ...and keep it cool - Batteries work best in cooler temperatures, with prolonged warm periods gradually lowering their efficiency over time. Putting your phone in a looser pocket might help, or perhaps just gently fanning it while it charges. That might not be the best use of your working day, but at least you'll still be able to get on Twitter on the train home.

Do you have anything to add? Share with us what you think works for you.. :smileyhappy:

when im charging my S4 the battery is becoming hot.

lawrence0921
                                    I didn't know what you mean by "Killing or Closing running apps is a common problem for short battery life."
                                        AkoSiRyan
                                        Running apps that is not needed or active or Background running apps consume available RAM... meaning an active Application using RAM is also in process.. meaning an application that is constantly running and in process uses the CPU... meaning CPU is consuming battery.... thus Closing Running Apps or Background Running apps helps save battery.
                                        NUTC24CK32
                                        Turn off services you dont need at the moment like GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth etc.
                                          jprmercado
                                          Also, check which apps use iOS's Location Services and Notification Center. Only keep the apps that actually need to be in there.

As for battery lifespan, Apple devices use Lithium-ion Polymer batteries. This means that PARTIAL charges are better than full charges. Also, DO NOT run your battery down to 0% [unless you're recalibrating the gauge]. Lithium-ion polymer batteries were designed so that you could charge whenever.

Here's my source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table
                                            jmrtlara

Can't say much about iOS, never liked 'em. :smileytongue:

For Android users. Uninstall rubbish apps. Poorly coded apps can substantially drain your battery.

- Use WiFi when availble. Using your mobile data for prolonged periods can be a battery killer.

- Do NOT use Task Killer applications. Manually close an app if you don't intend to use it. Task killers are known to cause more harm than good.

- Do NOT charge your battery like someone else said here everytime, or when there's an opportunity. You will harm your battery over time. Instead, charge when your battery level reaches 20% or below. Don't let it reach critical levels such as 5% though. 

Turning off Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS, and data is your discretion. I personally don't turn off any of them. GPS is always on, Bluetooth, at most when I'm driving. Since Wifi supercedes mobile data when available, I don't care. I didn't subscribed to an unli-surfing service for nothing.. I want to be connect 24/7! :smileyhappy:

jeromeadel18
                                              You mean guys..if my battery is @ 20% already, charge ko na agad..? I'm using s3 mini..
                                                allanplusdale

I do not use the vibrate mode of my phone. I'd adjust the sound to its loudest volume instead.

ChitoReyes

Simply put ... turn off any unecessary features, applications and in extreme cases, even usage (by simply turning the phone off when not expecting any calls or messages) to extend battery life.

Know when usage is necessary and learn how to anticipate. Prioritze on what needs to be done over what you want to do.

But we all know that it is easier said than done specially with tempting things that one can do with today's gadgets... oh well... it's the bitter pill we have to take to enjoy the present technology.

• You really want to save your battery life?
                                                    AkoSiRyan

For basic users, follow the tips on this Thread. As for Screen display, putting it to the lowest brightness (dissableing Auto Brightness) would  prolong battery life yes, though some Touch screen smartphones have very low Legibility on Bright environment making it hard for user to see anything on the screed display.

For Android Users, u can download and install battery saving apps like Du Battery Saver, Juice Defender, Advance Task Killer (this is my favorite application since it automatically kills background running apps to whatever intervals you like prolonging my Galaxy S2 from 1 day on stock applications to 2 days same usage)

For iOS users, sorry, there is no application that i know that save its battery since Apple iOS is not the flexible when it comes to application for tweaks.

For Advance user of Android smartphones, rooting your phone really helps a lot in installing Application for Battery saving tweas (though rooting may void your warranty). You can download and Install "CPU" Sleeper that make your cellphone CPU go to full sleep when not in use thus really saving the battery life. "Greenify" helps save battery by allocating/assigning a certain application that is active that consume battery to a halt when not actively using it. "Battery Doctor (Batery Saver)" by KS Mobile also has a lo a lot of option to save battery.

You can also try battery calibrating Apps to calibrate your battery if it is displaying unusually battery usage even though you are not using it occasionally.

Custom Firmwares ang Kernels also helps save battery for android phone users as this custom firmwares and kernels sometimes does design to save battery and optimized the usage of your smartphone. Do install this custom firmwares and kernels at your own risk though.

But for people that do have extra bucks on their pockets, having a spare battery or  two is much better. Or having a Power bank or Solar chargers for places with no AC power outlet is much better specially for iOS user and smartphone that has no Swappable batteries... =>

wumbahumba

never use launchers (NXT, GOLauncher, etc.) other than the supplied Android OS launcher.

ronnotthedj
                                                        ako naman sa mga mx player users, use low brightness as much as possible.

Pili ka ng earphone na by default e malakas na agad kahit konting volume lang lalo na sa music. Mas konti ang volume, mas tipid sa battery. Kung may time kayo, hanap kayo ng mp3 software na nagpapalakas ng volume ng mp3 files nyo

Ilagay na agad sa shortcuts yung mga apps na madalas gamitin para di na maghahanap sa app drawer at tipid din sa screen time. Yung screen ang isa sa malakas kumain ng battery
                                                          RickyCruz

Download DU Battery Saver Apps....

Ephemeral

Sorry for the novel it's quite long so I applied in a spoiler tag. Though as good explaination that may be helpful. :-)

Just some Android tips.

Spoiler
                                                            Spoiler

Disabling the Sync function helps prolong battery life due to apps like Facebook and Gmail tends to gets stuck in a sync loop especially when you have tons of email to sync. Also if your Internet keeps dropping due to latency issues, it can cause problems retrieving sync. Basically when you’re syncing and the Internet isn’t stable in latency. You’ll have to fetch the whole content again... giving you a never ending syncing process. Speed isn’t that important in a way... because if the Internet is stable, even if you have 100kbps... it will sync... eventually. :-P

Disabling Data Internet when not in use is very important. Imagine this... when a radio station (FM) is broadcasting... especially in higher bands. They use a lot of electricity so that their broadcast can transmit on air. Regardless if a radio will open in pick up the frequency it emits. The power sent is not on-demand, hence wasted electricity. Now apply this to your phone... usually Data Internet uses a Technology called WiMax. WiMax emits a high frequency... for your phone to pick this up, it emits an in-par frequency the coverage provides... like 4G/LTE for example. Imagine your battery being drained 1% per minute.

WiFi, it is frequency based... but it’s lower in frequency so the dBm isn’t too great hence you can enjoy WiFi in a way not draining your battery as fast as data. Disabling this depends on your environment.

Closing apps properly will also help. Why? Imagine playing Minion Rush. Then after playing you closed the game through its options... think... is it actually closed? Learning to use the Task Manager helps. Because most android apps do not actually close when you close them through menu, the app is still running... hence CPU load gets high draining your battery in the process.

Well this is kinda advanced though not dangerous if you know what you’ll do and might break your warranty. Underclock your CPU. Well the clock frequency of a CPU especially a quad core can do burst spikes in battery consumption. Lowering the frequency and locking it to a lower limit helps. Due to some apps are just arm7 mips32 that really doesn’t require too many instructions... except some movie players like MXPlayer that does 10bit encoding and HW+ acceleration or Photoshop Touch that requires a stable quadcore to save HD resolution images.

Sleeping and resting. If you keep using your phone and running apps, it will undoubtedly drain the battery faster. Sleeping helps the not just the battery but the phone hardware as well. :-D

Bluetooth isn’t that much of a monster so I won’t tackle it 100 milliwatt isn’t that much of a deal in terms of power. So if you’re using a Bluetooth headset. Actually... it really depends. :smileyvery-happy: The only problem is if WiFi and Bluetooth frequencies cross modulate. That’s why some routers have channels in the same band but a variable.

Updating your apps may probably help in some cases... due to some old apps uses kernels like crazy draining battery like there’s no tomorrow, especially some games. Though usually this can be firmware or hardware related.

Charge when it’s necessary. When you charge above the auto battery saver function you destroy the battery. Why? When your battery is above the level of recharge, it still emits a high power output to your phone. When it reaches a low level the firmware automatically reduces the power consumption so that when you plug the phone, a transition of power is gradually stable. Unlike when the battery is still in higher output and you plug it. Sudden charging and discharging shortens the mAh of the battery.

Finally change your battery... at least after 6 to 8 months. Well... if you’re really a super user. I commend this due to batteries do take toll in the hardware as well, especially the SD card.

JhunYcaro

guys ask  ko lng po, i have a new iphone5s, when i charge my phone sanay ako i off muna then plug, but nung i charge ko ung iphone ko nag automatically on khit nk turn off..then try ko sya turn off while plug-in..d nman lumalabas battery display nya as in turn off lng sya..may sira b iphone ko? help naman